Friday, October 07, 2011

Book Review

I'd already read the first two books I read this month but you can get something different out of a book each time you read it so I figured I'd review them again. Plus I'd look like a slacker if I only put 3 books on here and I don't like looking pathetic on my own blog! Or on anyone else's!

A Million Little Pieces. I liked this book when I read it long ago and I still do. It was the book club pick for the month and Heather wanted us to read it after she was intrigued by the Oprah apology interview with James Frey. I blogged about the first time she reamed him out 5 years ago. I still feel exactly the same way. I love the book and I don't care if it's 100% honest or not. The whole point of the book was a man overcoming his addictions and he did that. The raw way it is written is still fascinating and draws you in and all the hype that followed after doesn't matter too much to me. I am thankful Oprah apologized to him. I give it an 8. Favorite quote: "Women are difficult. They become more so if you ignore them."


Catcher in the Rye. My copy of it is starting to fall apart. It's well loved. It might be weird to love a book at 28 as much as you loved it at 16, but I do. And I love Holden and I love J.D. and I'm still sad he's dead and I was never able to stalk him. He would've thought I was a phony and I don't even care. I give it an 11. Favorite Quote---well one of them: "Many many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."

Tao Te Ching. Don't worry mom, I'm not gonna turn Buddhist, but I wanted to read this after reading A Million Little Pieces since he references it so much. It's an ancient book of proverbs and I really liked it. You can read it in an hour. You probably have already heard some famous quotes from it like "A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step." If you like wisdom then read it. I give it a 10. I copied many things from it into my favorite quote book but I can't pick just one to put here so just go check it out yourself.



A Visit from the Goon Squad. I feel if I had a few more days to think about this novel maybe I'd like it more. Or if I read it again knowing now what it's like, I'll even love it. The fictional book has so many characters and stories intertwining in the past, present, and future it was hard to keep up....and I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to. The chapters are written in first person, second person, third person and even in graphs. I applaud the uniqueness of it and see why it won a Pulitzer prize. If it weren't for the last chapter that brought it all together, I would've hated it, I think, but even with all the artistry I'm still not sure I LIKED it. It might be the hardest book I've ever read to rate. I'll give it a 6 and let you decide for yourself! Favorite Quote: "I'm always happy," Sasha said. "Sometimes I just forget."

Our Women's Bible study on Wednesday night is doing the Beth Moore book "To Live is Christ: The Life and Ministry of Paul." I am really enjoying the workbook and I value how much her workbooks make me want to read my Bible more. Often times a devotional book may be good but it doesn't exactly make me get out and study my Bible. These definitely do! We are in the middle of it so I guess I'm not really done reading it but ask me in like 9 more weeks and I'm sure I'd give it a 10! And I have no favorite quotes but I have underlined many things in it.


Now I'd like to share with you a picture of our book club from Tuesday night at Bellini's (only Amy H is missing). We meet once a month at various restaurants and chat about books and so much more. I feel I needed to show a pic so you wouldn't think the monthly book club pick is a mythical thing I refer to!
Up next I will be reading The Thorn Birds and maybe finishing some books that have been sitting around my room that I just haven't gotten into. What are you reading?

6 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

(Sorry I removed my comment above, but here it is again) I'm saving 2 for our upcoming vacation while I'm sitting on the beach like a whale eating my weight in guac! Pioneer Woman's from High Heels to Tract Wheels and Harlan Coban's Miracle Cure....

ktsdad said...

You will be happy to know that I am just finishing "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have "The Girl who Played with Fire" waiting in the wings! Papa

Monique said...

I love Beth Moore!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are going to read The Thorn Birds. It is probably my 3rd favorite book of all time. 1st being Gone with the Wind. 2nd Harry Potter.

Sally

Leslie said...

it's nice of you to photo shop some strangers into a photo with you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails