Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Re-fashionista: Scarf Tutorial

You know you've seen this on Pinterest and you've pinned it in your craft folder and you think you'll make it for the holidays but you haven't actually watched a tutorial on how to do it. Well you're about to find out, and it seriously takes about 5 minutes. The one I made below isn't as fluffy and full as the one in the above picture, but it's still cute. You can also watch this video to learn how to make it and others similar to it out of t-shirts.

First get an XL or larger tshirt from your husbands dresser or from your local thrift store. You can easily score them around here for 99 cents. Then trace large circle on the front of the shirt.
You should be able to get about 6 (I think this shirt was a Large so I only got 4, the more circles you can get, the fuller the scarf will be). If you cut it out while the shirt is laid out flat you will get 12 circles (because there's a front and a back to a shirt...I hope you are following me)
Then cut each circle (You can cut more than one circle at a time by stacking them) into a spiral and stretch the fabric out.
Not too hard or you'll rip it, but it should start to make a bit of a curly spiral.
Lay the spiral-y strips out and put 6 on one side, 6 on the other, and then either use fabric glue to connect them or a few stitches with a needle and thread.
I sewed, but I hear glue works just as well.
Then Voila! That's all there is to it!
There's about 400 ways to tie a scarf, this is just one I did for a photo for the blog. But seriously this takes about 5 minutes. I made 6 while watching Wonder Years the other day.

P.S. Ryan said this picture should be a stock photograph for "confident business woman" ha!
P.P.S. If you get a Xmas present from me and it's wrapped in something that looks like t-shirt shreds....it's one of these scarves, so don't throw it away. Unless you hate it and then give it away at a dirty santa party. Or send it back to me and I'll wear it!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

That's adorable, Katie! So super cute! I'm gonna try it. And your P.P.S. is hilarious. =)

Anonymous said...

Our As Seen On TV presents can be wrapped in a handmade wrapper so I hope I get one for Christmas. Hope you have a safe trip and a great Thanksgiving/Birthday/Christmas in Tennessee. Thank you for Skying. I love love love seeing my Okie kiddos.

Mom aka Gma

Leslie said...

FUN!! Have you seen this?

Jennifer said...

So cute! I have a host of pinterest things I need to make.

Related Posts with Thumbnails