Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Book Review


Bel Canto reminded me of a crazy but more serious version of the reality show Big Brother. It's about a bunch of wealthy people from various nations being held hostage at a political figure's house in South America for months. It focuses on a few of the people and the surprising romantic feelings that happen even when they don't speak the same language. It's an interesting look at how easily your world view changes when your world is now held inside the walls of a mansion and unstable people surround you with guns. It was slow at times but I enjoyed it overall and give it an 8.

Make Your Place is a book I picked up at Powell's and gives all sorts of tips on how to make your own laundry soap, facial soap, garden, first aid kits, etc. It's nice to have a homeopathic mini encyclopedia to go to so I don't have to google everything. It also has awesome illustrations and is written like a zine. I like it because even though some might think it's hard core, the author always points out you don't have to be extreme. Modern medicine isn't the devil but it has it's place. Anyway I give it a 9 although it's more of a reference book than pleasure read.

Holidays on Ice I have read a few times before, but it makes a great Christmas gift for the sardonic person in your life. Or for a fan of David Sedaris. Hilarious short stories centered around the holidays...mostly Christmas. This was the book club pick for the month and I give it a 10 and recommend you read it every year at Christmas for a good laugh! My favorites stories in it are "Christmas means giving" which is about a competition between neighbors to see who can be the most philanthropic and "Six to Eight Black Men" which is about the traditions surrounding the Dutch Santa. This was the first ebook I read via my ipad. It was neat, but I prefer a "real" book.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is a collection of humorous essays by Mindy Kaling, most well known for being on The Office (she's a writer of the show too if you didn't know). If you read Tina Fey's book then you'd enjoy this one. She's a hoot and the stories range from how she got into the business, to the awkward teenage years, to what she thinks the perfect friend is, to her favorite comedic movie moments. It's all over the place, and I loved it. I give it a 9.



Mad Mary started out with me being a little skeptical as I'm not a huge fan of religious fiction, and I always feel like I have to feel guilty about that, but I shouldn't because it's not like God wrote these books?! The first half is a fictional parable about a modern day Mary Magdalene and the second half is a non fictional study of the real Mary Magdalene. I found the second half much more interesting (The first half was a bit hokey to me) I get all of those Marys in the New Testament confused (did you know there are like 7 different ones?) and some of the ones I thought were Mary Mag were not. The moral is....Mary Mag gets a bad rap for how she was portrayed in history and in many paintings and movies, but you should be a fact checker and read your Holy Bible, because I bet most of what you think about her isn't true. Anyway despite the good info I learned, I wasn't a huge fan of the author's style so I give it a 5.

Here I am at the Melting Pot with my photoshopped book club friends....jk they really are real people, Leslie! We went all out for our last book club dinner of the year. It was a wonderful night with wonderful girls.
You all might think you know Annaleise but do you know "fondue Annaleise"? TOTALLY different person!

I'm not sure what's next because it's the holidays and who has time to read?! Have you read anything good lately?

3 comments:

Erin said...

You said you aren't into religious fiction but I just read the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers and LOVED it. It was kind of hard to get into because of all the Roman names and history, but the story woven throughout is awesome. Totally worth the read.

H said...

That was such a fun night!! love all the book reviews!

devon lorraine ... said...

intersting fact: i used to work at the melting pot.

you read so many books.
what do i do with my time!!??
who knows.

but over thanksgiving weekend i read me some nice easy teen fiction - the hunger games - about the only level of reading i can get through quickly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails