Friday, December 02, 2011

Christmas Countdown!

One idea I've seen on the interweb for awhile now is to unwrap a holiday book each day in December as a countdown to Christmas. I combined this with the idea of a family Christmas activity each day too by writing the activity to do on the tag. I'll try to post weekly the different fun things we are doing. Here are the books layed out before I wrapped them.
Here they are after wrapping. And yes hindsight is 20/20, I don't know why I cut out numbers instead of just writing them with red and green sharpie but oh well. Maybe if they don't get torn, I can reuse them next year!
I put them in baskets on either side of the fireplace and we are going to read one each night in front of the tree and then do the activity the next day.
Day 1 was The Nutcracker and the activity is Decorate the outside of the house for Christmas!
I'm sure our book collection will grow as the years go by so there will be an even better variety to choose from!

P.S. We already had most of these books, but I had to scrounge to find enough without using some from the library, which I considered doing, so not all are toddler appropriate like my long version of the Nutcracker and Politically Correct Holiday Tales. One "book" is actually an ornament but you can read it. One book is the musical Christmas card seen in the last post. Also I just did enough books until we leave for Branson which is technically a few days before the 25th. And yes we have 2 Olivia Claus books.

P.P.S. I call it a countdown instead of Advent because we don't believe Jesus was born on Dec. 25. We believe no one knows the exact date Jesus was born, but it was an important day and when many people in the world are thinking about His birth I think it's a great time to engage others in it, so I included books about the nativity in our line up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. What a great idea Katie. I'm sure Olivia will love it. I'm so glad she loves to read now. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.

Mom aka Gma

AM said...

Love it! I'm excited to see what activities you are doing that will be good for me to do with Isabella next year!

Amanda said...

that is a great idea! And a great way to keep her excited to read.

Monique said...

Great idea! Such a creative Christmas memory

Related Posts with Thumbnails