Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bandwagon Soap Maker

I've been called worse things so go ahead and call me a bandwagon laundry soap maker...see if I care! There have been numerous blog postings about making your own laundry soap and I even made the liquid version about a year ago, but I was not a fan of it. I made this powdered recipe I found in a book before Christmas and have been testing it out now for a few weeks and I LOVE it! It's easy to make, makes my laundry AND washing machine smell good, and it's going to save a LOT of money because each load is only 1 tbsp of soap.
Here's what you need: Borax, Baking soda, washing soda, and laundry bar soap. (tea tree oil or lavender if you are one of those people with essential oils laying around your house) As far as soap goes, I prefer Fels-Naptha over Zote but that's just my two cents. You can also use ivory or pure castile bar soap.

The recipe is easy: 2 parts grated soap, 2 parts Baking soda, 1 part borax, 1 part washing soda, a few drops of scented oil. Mix it all together and it will look like this.
Olivia helped me grate the soap. She was so proud! And no one grated a finger which I was surprised by!
She did keep thinking it was cheese and would put it in her mouth, then realize her mistake. But 5 minutes later she'd do it again.
Then put your concoction in a cute container in your laundry area and enjoy!
My book says to only use this in warm or hot water as it won't dissolve properly in cold...but I haven't found that to be true so far. I keep liquid detergent on hand just in case for now though! It doesn't get sudsy but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I wish I'd done this a long time ago.

10 comments:

kmom said...

Amazing! You might consider starting your washer on warm water until the soap is dissolved and then switch to cold. I suspect the softness of your water has something to do with it dissolving well, but I don't know.

Kara Scharrer said...

I am so glad to see that you've jumped on the bandwagon, too! I've been thinking about doing this, but didn't know how well it would work and all the recipes I've seen have seemed too hard to make! I'll definitely give your recipe a try! Yay! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

My only problem I don't know how much a part measures, so I cannot measure out the right amount..I'm one of those "I need measurements" in my recipes. Jessica Van Winkle

Anonymous said...

Olivia told me about eating the soap when Ry skyped the other night. I could tell what she was saying just by the face she made when telling it. Very cute! Good job on the money saving idea.

Mom aka Gma

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been wanting to try making my own soap but was uncertain if it actually worked. You clarified answers to my questions and now I will give it a try. -April B

Kristen said...

I'm gonna have to try this...=)

jen said...

so glad you did it! i've been LOVING it :), such a money saver AND i feel so 'cool' to have done it. hope it continues to work for you!

dshrock said...

i'll have to have you and Annaleise test Todd's poopy clothes and let me know if it works on getting those stains out.

Leslie said...

poopy clothes = ha!

also, remember to save those soap grating photos for the post about when she accidentally says a bad word. :)

Amanda said...

Ever since I saw the Duggar girls make this I thought it looked intriguing. I am close to running out of detergent soon so I think I will try this as well! Thanks for the inspiration!

(When I was about 4 I recall my mom washing my mouth out with soap. To this day I can't remember what I said to deserve it, but I sure remember the taste!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails