Saturday, March 03, 2012

Book Review

Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Once again I judged a book by its cover and failed. When will I learn this lesson? It had potential (and the ladies at the library counter raved about it) but then just got too crazy and I didn't care about any of the characters. It is a young adult book so maybe I'm just too old to like it (but the library ladies are a lot older). It reminded me of that Benedict society book...but I didn't like that one either. I did manage to finish reading it though. The idea of basing a story around old photos was neat, but just poorly executed. (Oh wow that sounded just like one of my art teachers comments at OC ) Anyway I give it a 4 and don't recommend it. I hear Tim Burton is considering it for one of his films....that might redeem it or make it worse. You never can tell with that ol' Tim.

The Night Circus was intriguing but not captivating to me. I kept waiting for it to reel me in but I never got there. I feel like people who enjoyed Twilight might like this book, which was most of America. There was a lot of mysticism that I just couldn't find interesting, kind of like the last book. It jumped around a timeline a lot, which wasn't too hard to keep up with, but I never cared for the characters and that may have been why. It will probably be a movie and I think it would be visually interesting to see and should be directed by Tim Burton more than the last book. Anytime I read a book like this I wonder if I'm just not a fan of fantastical and mystical type literature, but I did love Harry Potter and Ender's Game (which is more futuristic) so I'm not a complete hater. I give it a 4.

Big Stone Gap is a series that my sister in law recently blogged about so I thought I'd check it out and I really liked it! It reminded me a lot of my Big Fat Greek Wedding even though she didn't go through a physical transformation like Tula she was still learning about herself and was a "spinster" at 35 who was finding love and there was another culture involved (Italian not Greek). I liked all the small town characters and think it would make a fun movie (apparently she wrote it as a screen play, guess it didn't take off). I give it an 8 and now I want to visit Big Stone Gap...it's a real place. And I might even want to read more in the series. Fun Fact: The author wrote for the The Cosby Show.


Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is the book club pick for the month and I'm still confused how it's been around for 7 years without me having ever heard of it! I give it a 10. I realize because it's a movie, it's gained popularity, but there's no way the movie is as good as the book. I'll let you know when I see it though. I found it extremely unique and incredibly hard to put down. It is a sad book, but you know that from the start. I'm a fan of books with a darker side, but if you are not then probably don't read this. I really want to read more of the author's books now. I would share more about my hunches in the story as I was reading and things I found surprising but I don't want to ruin it if anyone plans on reading it. So just chat with me after you read it!

Big Cherry Holler. I didn't plan on reading the 2nd in the series so soon after the first (Big Stone Gap, see two paragraphs above), but it was available at the library and it was a fast read. I liked it as much as the first one and will probably check out the rest of the series soon. This book takes place like 8 years after the first and still follows the same small town characters but deals more with their relationship and the troubles they are facing after the loss of a child. I thought the author did such a great job at really pinpointing the different characters emotions it made me wonder if she had been through this. I give it an 8 and recommend it only if you liked the first one! (can Carrie or Mona tell me why it's titled this? I don't recall any place in the book being called Big Cherry Holler? Also the cover art confuses me)

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted (and other small acts of liberation) was a fun fast read. It's full of short fiction stories about women of various ages doing just what the title suggests. Some are better than others, but I enjoyed it overall and give it a 7. It's no Nora Ephron book but it'll make you chuckle if you're a woman. If you're a man I'd probably just steer clear of it. It'll just confuse you even more.

Last month our book club watched Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Do not waste your time. Such a wonderful book and such an awful awful movie. I think we all were wondering how the author even signed off on that screenplay, but I guess she doesn't have to if they offer enough money. Who knows? I don't. It was still a fun book club night though, as all of them are!

I realize I often talk about books and then think of them as a movie (some of them are) but that's just how it works in my mind. I'm visualizing the story as I read it, so it only makes sense for that visual to come to life. What are you reading?

(To understand my rating scale, you can read this post.)

5 comments:

The Moores said...

I think Big Cherry Holler is the name of a place (a holler if you will) down the road from the MacChesney house where there is a lake. Plus, holler's just a fun word to say.
I have Milk Glass Moon if you want to read it over spring break. But you'll have to read fast, cause we only overlap for 5 days.
Holler!

New Movie Entertainment said...

Really nice blog!!!

If you want to know about new movies please visit here my blog.

http://newmovieentertainment.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure she mentions Big Cherry Holler in one of the books as a place the teens used to go to. I'm not sure about that cover either. I don't think my book had that one. If you read the next two, would you keep an eye out for what happened to Worley's wife. Remember he married the mother of the girl that she gave the pharmacy to and then later on Worley is alone and talking about dating and I dont remember anything mentioned about the wife leaving or dying.

I too visualize my books as movies (or tv series).

Mom aka Gma

Anonymous said...

Glad you found Extremely Loud--read it a few years ago and LOVED it. Haven't seen the movie yet either, but likely will when it comes out on Netflix. Looking forward to seeing you later this month--I will be digging Thomas out of storage!
~Dawn

Monique said...

Love your book reviews

Related Posts with Thumbnails