Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Book review

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. This fiction book was about 6 until the last 30 pages and then it became an 8. I didn't see the twist coming and I liked it. And I liked the ending. It definitely made me glad I live in modern times. I was once an opinionated female teenager and knowing that I could've been locked in an asylum in the 30's for not complying with society's norms wouldn't have flown well with me! There was one storyline in it that didn't seem to serve a purpose but it didn't bring the rating down any. The rest of book club liked it too, so I recommend it to anyone...well maybe just females.



Calm My Anxious Heart. I've been wanting to read this for awhile and finally borrowed it from a friend after she did a book review in our ladies' Bible class about it. It's a 10 hands down and I recommend it to every Christian woman! Such a good read. I need to buy it and read it at least once a year...possibly once a month. Then I can highlight and make notes and all that stuff I wanted to do with the copy I had but couldn't because I have to return it! The author does a great job of sharing her own experiences with the reader and using several scriptures to share how to combat things all of us women probably feel at some point or another.

Petals on the Wind. The short book review of this is best described by Sweet Brown's words "Ain't nobody got time for that!" I wasn't sure I was going to read another in this series (Flowers in the Attic) but my curiosity got the best of me. I watched the movie of the first one and it was a bit different from the book. Still pretty disturbing though. Anyway I thought this book took an even worse turn and I just can't read anymore. I almost didn't finish this one. It's just too scandalous and smutty for me. The daughter is following in her mother's footsteps and while I am intrigued as to what becomes of them I think I'll just google it because I can't read about 17 year old girls seducing their brothers or 42 year old adopted fathers anymore. I give it a 0.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (sounds similar to the first title huh?!) kept catching my eye on  bookshelves at various places so I checked it out at the library and I give it a 10. It was a little long but fascinating to me so I didn't mind. I thought this non fiction investigative report was very well done. It's the story of the HeLa cells that have been used for years to conduct all source of scientific research and have probably been medically beneficial to all of us or at least someone we know. It's not just the story of the cells, but of the woman who they were taken from without her permission. I'll let you read the synopsis though online. Such a well done story and I think the author did a great job presenting the facts in an easy to understand way for those of us who aren't geneticists and scienctists :)  I recommend this to anyone. 

The Christian Atheist is the book we've been studying in our ladies Bible class Wed. night and I highly recommend it. The tagline is "Believing in God but living as if He doesn't exist." Each chapter takes into account many areas that Christians struggle with. My personal favorites were When You Believe in God but still Worry All The Time and When You Believe in God but Pursue Happiness at Any Cost. It'll convict you and make you take a second look at your life but definitely in a good way! I give it a 10.


Creative Counterpart. I liked Calm My Anxious Heart so much I decided to check out another one by this same author. Now I'm 2 for 2 with Linda Dillow! This was a great book on applying Biblical principles to your marriage. It even had useful advice on planning your week that I'm going to try and tackle. I really like this author's style and she has so many stories about herself and others that speak to any woman. Some of it was hard to read....I'm not sure if it's because I don't agree with it or just because I'm convicted by it, but I still give it a 10! I looked up on her website and she wrote the first edition of this book when she was 34! I'm a few years away from that age and can't imagine writing a book this intuitive on Godly marriage. She has a few more books that I think I'll check into. 


What are you reading? I'm going to start Anne of Green Gables as soon as I'm done with Testimony.


(Rules of rating seen here)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still in A.D. Chronicles series on book 9. There are only 12 and I'm not looking forward to coming to the end of them.

Love ya, Mom aka Gma

Summer said...

Ok, I'm going to try reading the Dillow books. Thanks for the suggestion. I am reading one of Craig's books right now - Soul Detox. We should trade. It's a good one too.

Glad you like the Lacks story.

Oh, and I liked the follow-up to unChristian. It's a little more technical and not quite as east to read but still very interesting.

Happy Reading!

Meredith and Wes said...

Thanks for letting us know about Linda Dillow. I have been wanting to start reading something recently but really didn't know where to start looking. I look forward to reading some of her work. It always helps to hear someone else's opinion before you buy. :)

Anonymous said...

Always appreciate your reviews, Katie. I too loved Henrietta--heard the author speak last winter and she was so interesting. Best book I have read lately is Wild by Cheryl Strayed--read it in one sunny Saturday afternoon and am excited to hear the author speak next month! And can't wait for summer so I can tackle the stack of books by my bed = )
~Dawn

tricia said...

i loved The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks!

Amanda said...

Really enjoy your book posts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails