Thursday, May 03, 2012

For Moms and Moms to Be

Maybe I should post this on Mothers Day but I feel the need to share now. Men...you might wanna stop reading. Fair warning.

Olivia very recently noticed my c-section scar for the first time. I don't know how she's missed it before, but she pointed it out and bluntly asked me what it was the other day. I told her that that is where she came out of my belly when she was a baby. Now every time she sees it she pats it and tells me that's where she was born and I smile. I couldn't look at my scar for a long time after Olivia was born, it was ugly, it was painful, and it reminded me of the scary events that happened the day of her birth. It's been 2 and a half years and the scar is just now beginning to thin, I'm just now regaining feeling where it is, and I thought it was interesting that I noticed this at about the same time my daughter even noticed it was there. Nobody's body looks the same after having a baby, but I don't want my daughter to ever hear me complain about how I look. Sure I have insecurities and some were definitely made worse after gaining 30 pounds and losing it, but I don't want to pass those insecurities on to her and negatively affect her self image. I want her to rejoice in the way God made her, so I need to rejoice in the way He made me! No my c-section scar wasn't a part of that original body, but because of it I have one of the best gifts God has ever given me: my daughter!

I don't even know how I stumbled across this on the internet tonight, but I sat here and watched the whole mini documentary. (click on link to read article and watch it) It was very weird to me at first how they only show the bellies while the moms are talking, but that's the point. I think all moms should watch it and especially take notice at the views they show of various nature formations: the sand after the tide goes out, the bark on a tree after growth, the lava after its cooled. Change occurs and leaves beautiful marks we see in nature; change occurs and leaves marks on our bodies too and yet we don't usually find them as beautiful as the ones in nature we photograph and put on calendars. By the end of this little film I was over the weirdness of it and I loved it and was shedding a tear at the elderly lady talking of her empty nest. I hope you enjoy the film too and are proud of your body that carried and nourished your babies too, no matter how old they are now!

If you haven't had kids and you're a female, watch it anyway so you won't be shocked afterward how your body might turn out!

that's my belly and it was photographed by Courtney Waugh, I don't have a professional pic to show you the after so just watch the video and guess which one it resembles ;)

7 comments:

Monique said...

What a beautiful post! Brought a tear to my eye

kmom said...

I'm sorry about your body changes, but I'm so thankful for Olivia. Love, Mom

Aubrie said...

Great post.

jen said...

nice post, such a great reminder!

Iris said...

I just turned 35 and I'm dying to have a baby. No husband yet so still waiting for that to happen. But when I saw the video, I just pray with all my heart that when someday I have a baby I get those beautiful stretch marks! Those will remind me of how much I wanted to be a mother!

Shawn and Becky said...

Something I needed a reminder about since I just had a baby and my stomach reminds me of it everyday. But I should look at it as a blessing. Thank you Katie. I can't wait to watch the documentary.

lauren and brad said...

thank you so much kate. really needed to hear that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails