Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Book review

Before I begin my reviews for the month I'd like to share a quote from Olivia. She received a new Thomas book a few weeks ago while we were in the car and was anxious to read it. I'm not sure if the ride was too bumpy, but she yelled "Mom! Stop dis car! Stop dis car wight now! I need wead this berk!"

Testimony was recommended to me by a friend and I must warn you: the first few pages are VERY graphic and a bit disturbing. I think if you read the synopsis you'll easily be able to see why. Anyway, despite that, I enjoyed the book. It was depressing, but I kept thinking it might be good for a lot of teens to read. It definitely showed how one's bad choices, no matter how brief, can affect others and the spiral of horrible events it can cause. Like I said, it's not a feel good book, but I think the author did a great job of telling the story from different viewpoints. (I just wanted there to be a religious ending about God's grace and mercy and how he'll forgive us if we believe....etc...but it's not that kind of berk) I give it a 7.


Anne of Green Gables. I have very fond memories of watching these movies at my grandmother's house so I thought I should read the book series. Then I forgot about it. Then I saw a first edition book on Antiques Roadshow was appraised for like $20,000 and was reminded again. Luckily Danielle has the whole box set and was happy to loan it to me. I loved the first one and can't wait to read it out loud to Olivia when she's a bit older. I love the grown up language Anne uses, and how her "rude" statements wouldn't even be considered rude today by most standards. It's fun to watch her grow as a child and Marilla to grow as a mother. Now I want to watch the movies all over again! I give it a 8.5.


Charleston Kisses. This should be a Lifetime Movie. Maybe all Lifetime Movies take place in Charleston. People with names like Tradd and Beauregard (?). It's a fast fluffy read, but I mainly just couldn't believe the two characters who were falling in love had any real connection, so it made it even more boring. Overall it was "meh" but if you're going to the beach and need chick lit, I guess give this one a try. I give it a 5. Maybe I'll revisit it after I vacation in Charleston one day and the nuances will seem more believable.

Bright's Passage was written by Josh Ritter (our fav musician). It's rare that someone who is good at singing is also an equally good actor or author or politician or etc. but they all seem to try their hand at various things these days. I'm happy to report that Josh Ritter is an excellent author and I thoroughly enjoyed his work of fiction and hope he writes more! The book is a ballad of sorts, part epic tale, even part Western. It reminded me a lot of Peace Like a River so I recommend it if you like books of that sort. It started out a bit slow for me, so give it a few chapters if you aren't liking it because it picks up and gets pretty suspenseful. And don't get caught up on the horse being an angel part...keep reading. It was a strong 9 in my opinion. (I also hope it's made into a movie, and that Daniel Day Lewis plays the Colonel and Josh Ritter plays Henry Bright....he might as well act if he's 2 for 2 right?)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was the book club pick for the month and I loved this book. It's a 10. (I thought a 9 but after reading my requirements...it meets a 10 for sure! I was looking up all sorts of things about Brooklyn in that era while I read it! And now I want to go back to visit Erin and have her show me all the streets in Brooklyn that it talked about.)  The details of every day life for a poor child in the early 1900s were so vivid and real, and yet still applicable to a lot of situations today. So many lessons can be drawn from this, and I know it's a popular book for kids to read in school (although I never was made to) but I really think its a good one...but probably not til high school because of some topic matters. The rest of book club liked it, but not as much as I did.

What I Know Now. Boo. It's a 4. What I know now is that I should not take book recommendations from Pinterest. It had potential, and I thought I might like it: various famous females writing letters to their younger selves. But most of them weren't enlightening to me, because they were too specific to the person writing them. They were telling themselves everything will be ok in the future because obviously they are from the future so they were just telling themselves "don't worry about your job because you get a great one in the future, don't date that loser because a better guy comes along later on, don't worry about infertility because you do get pregnant or adopt eventually. etc..." That's great but what about NOW? So I'm not sure what the author was trying to accomplish. A few were more about life lessons and less about specific situations but overall I didn't enjoy it.

(Book rating rules seen here)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read this awesome memoir called Double Take by Kevin Michael Connolly. It was an awesome read, and I don't read non-fiction. Ever. You should check it out, or at least Google him to find out why it's such a great book. Jessica Van Winkle

The Moores said...

Awww, I love Anne of Green Gables! I think I read every single L. M. Montgomery book when I was ages 10-12. My favorite of her books is The Blue Castle, I re read it about every 4 years.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't A Tree Grows In Brooklyn made into a movie?
Mom aka Gma

Ryan and Katie said...

Yes a long time ago, i only know bc i googled it.:)

Becky W said...

The Anne Series is one of my all time favorites! So glad you enjoyed them! I have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to read, too, because I never had to read it either. I hear the movie is good too - as far as books to movies go!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It was certainly part of my fascination with NYC growing up. Most people I know have never read it, and I am not sure it is on reading lists for high school these days.
~Dawn

Related Posts with Thumbnails