Friday, July 13, 2012

Book review

There are two reasons I haven't been reading as much. 1. Vampire Diaries. But I'm almost done with season three and it's already lost some of it's luster for me. 2. Melatonin. I'm finally sleeping through the night for the first time in a LOOONG time. I wish I'd tried this stuff a long time ago. If you have insomnia troubles I encourage you to try it...but it comes at a price if 3am was your main reading time!

This book was brought up to me by a few different friends. I was hesitant to read it because I'm not a huge fan of parenting books unless I already know I might agree with what it says :) After reading it I'm still not sure what kind of book it was. If it had been straight memoir of an American mom raising a kid in Paris, I would've enjoyed it. My favorite parts were her personal stories about her child coming home using slang French terms and her birth experience with twins in a French hospital. But only half was a memoir and the other half seemed to be trying to be a parenting book of sorts or just comparing American vs French parenting styles which I thought she did pretty poorly basing all her American stories on mothers in NYC and all her French parents in Paris. Not a fair testing group for a whole country if you ask me. Plus many of the French parenting techniques she mentioned (letting your children help you cook, sleep training, believing children can be rational beings, teaching patience, etc.) I have several American friends who do the same thing, so I wish she had just stuck to a memoir and left her poor research and opinions out. I give it a 5. But I feel like I should lower it after I read a scandalous article the author wrote for Marie Claire magazine. Just google it. Yikes!

Anne of Avonlea is the second book in the series. I enjoyed it, but at my own pace. I paused and would read another book and then pick this one up again. That might have altered my opinion on it because I didn't like it as much as the first although Anne is still such an endearing character I really can't say anything negative about her. I give it a 7. I still haven't watched the videos again but I want to get further in the series before I do that.





Tales of a Female Nomad was the book club pick this month and Amy told us it was like Eat, Pray, Love if you weren't rich. And it was! And this lady is still traveling. She's been a nomad for like 20 years and is 75 years old or something. It started out really pulling me in, but I lost interest towards the end so I give it a 7.5. She has had some amazing adventures and has a great belief in trusting others: she mainly stays with locals in villages and countries that she's traveled to. I also learned about SERVAS and am very intrigued by it, not that we will ever be world travelers, but it seems pretty neat. It's a lifestyle I don't think I can understand, and while she says she isn't running from her past or anything, part of me finds that hard to believe. The others in book club enjoyed it as well. I recommend it to people that like memoirs and/or have a sense of wanderlust.

Wild was another memoir of self discovery but this lady stayed in America and roughed it ALONE hiking for months on the Pacific Crest Trail. The difference in this and Nomad is that instead of hiking for 20 years , she eventually settled down. I really enjoyed this book despite not having any urge ever to hike or sleep outdoors or dig a toilet or not shower for weeks or carry all my belonging on my back. She did a good job of weaving in stories of her past that led her to make this great journey and the lessons she learned from it. I give it an 8 and recommend it to people who like memoirs. (But skip the part where she has to shoot a horse....couldn't handle it)

What are you reading? I am excited about the movie The Great Gatsby coming out around Xmas I think, so I want to re-read that. Also I hear Atlas Shrugged will be a movie in the fall. I tackled The Fountainhead and loved it so maybe I can get through that behemoth too. But before that I have a stack at the library waiting for me. We'll see! Happy reading!

Rules of Rating can be seen here.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Just wait til the end of the season, I totally agree, it wasn't the best season, but when it ends, you'll be dying, maybe....lol

Katie Bl said...

I recently read the Anne books (just the first two) for the first time too. I grew up watching the miniseries we had taped on the Disney channel. There is so much new material in these books, but in the second book I was kind of feeling like I like the movies better.

JanaGriffis said...

I wish I would have known you had sleeping troubles beforehand. I would have come over and given you some Melatonin to try a LONG time ago. I've been irregularly taking it since I was 13 and it's amazing stuff and natural which I like even more.

They actually already made Atlas Shrugged Part 1 last year. It's on Netflix Instant. I haven't watched it yet. But I too love the Fountainhead. I'm scared to watch it because I didn't hear the best things and I have a feeling it won't live up to my expectations of Ayn Rand.

I didn't know they were making The Great Gatsby! I'm also interested in The Perks of Being a Wallflower that's coming out this year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails