Sunday, September 02, 2012

Guppie

I haven't been able to zumba for a few months now. Too much pelvis thrusting and booty shaking was hurting my fragile back. It was a sad break up, but I have hopes to be reunited someday. *tear* Anyway that was my 4x a week workout for a year and a half so I was at a loss. I thought it wouldn't bug me that much to quit working out, but it did and I needed to find a new routine. Sadly, I still don't like all those gym machines and running...well I have nothing positive to say about that sport. So Jenna took me under her wing (or fin I should say) and decided to teach me how to swim laps. (At the gym, not at her pool, which you would just have to go around in tight circles) I thought I already knew how to swim, but apparently what I knew how to do was not drown. I could get from point a to point b in a water situation, but knew nothing of form, technique, breath control, pacing, and that cool flip you do at the end of a lap. I'm still working on all of these things, but I've come pretty far in a month's time. I went from being unable to put my face in the water without gagging and choking (I'm not kidding, I had to have a nose plug) to being able to do a few laps in a few styles without stopping...with my face in the water...sans plug! I still have a long way to go, but I am confident that within a few more months time I will be able to challenge Missy Franklin to a race...or maybe just a lip sync battle of "Call Me Maybe" but whatever.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I LOVE swimming for a workout....I'm often tempted to join the YMCA so I can swim laps again. If it's going to be a while before I can work out I may just have to do that!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a replacement workout. I dread the day I can't walk anymore. Hopefully I'll be chugging along when I'm 100. Water exercise is supposed to be so much easier on our bodies. I hope it works out long-term for you. Love ya, Mom aka Gma

Samantha Gniewek said...

I love swimming as well. You can burn so many calories in the pool and you feel so good after!

kmom said...

I am so impressed, especially with you being able to swim with your face in the water. Go girl, go!

Related Posts with Thumbnails