Saturday, September 15, 2012

Reasons to Love OKC

The Museum of Osteology
It's the tiniest museum I've ever been to but hands down one of the coolest. It's even been featured on dirtiest jobs with Mike Rowe (for the bone cleaning process with lots of beetles.) And it's right here in OKC. There are more than 300 different types of skeletons and it really was fascinating!
Here are Ryan and Liv watching beetles clean the guts off of a cat skull. Yum!
Those whales have some pretty large heads! 
 They mainly have animal skeletons but also featured some human ones. Here are some featuring spinal problems and dwarfism. 
 We didn't have to go to the state fair to see 2 headed calves! Here are several! 
  Luckily kids were allowed to touch anything so I took that to mean it was ok for Liv to do this. 
Because that's what she did while Ryan and I actually read all those placards. How often can you say you climbed all over an elephant skull when you were 3?!  
 Some of the coolest ones I thought were the giraffe, whale, and snakes. 
They even got creative with some of their displays. Check out what the raccoon was eating!
 The whole history of the museum and the business that it works hand in hand with is a pretty amazing story, you can read about it on their websites (museum and skulls unlimited)
And yes you can buy all sorts of bones and skeletons in the gift shop! We did not though.
When we left I asked Liv what her favorite skeleton was. 
She said Texas. 
I don't know what that means, but I'm sure it will make Texans happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I was skeptical when Ry told me you were going to a bone museum. But you've convinced me that I need to go. So interesting. Missed ya yesterday here in Oregon. Love ya much much much, Mom aka Gma

Erin said...

How do you find these places?!?

Monique said...

Wow! Pretty cool place

kmom said...

Looks like an interesting museum, especially the snake bones.

Related Posts with Thumbnails