Monday, October 15, 2012

Book Review

There's no better way to start off a book review than with a video of a toddler "reading". If you don't want to hear a 3 year old rendition of "Are You My Mudder?" and "Vera's first day of school" then skip down below.


Gone Girl. Yikes. This was the book club pick of the month and if you ever want to know whats behind the mind of a narcissistic sociopath then check this book out! It was divided into 3 sections and I was a little intrigued at the beginning, then I thought I knew where it was going, then there was a big twist in the second section, then I just had to keep reading because it was so twisted. I think if I were the author's husband I might be a little creeped out to be married to her or at least sleep with a weapon under my pillow. If you like suspense or mystery type novels then I think you would like this one. I give it a 7.5 The rest of book club enjoyed it as well.

Diapers, Pacifiers, and Other Holy Things was recommended in a another book I had read, so I thought I would check it out. It was written by a Christian mother who was asked by mother's of young children to write a book with short chapters that would give them encouragement throughout the day. Sometimes the only time you can read when taking care of kids is a 3 minute break on the toilet and even then you have to lock the bathroom door to get any peace. The chapters are short and are a good reminder of the importance of what you are doing each day even if you don't always feel like it. Some of it was a little dated but other parts I really liked and needed to hear. I give it a 6.

Radical (Taking back your faith from the American Dream) is another book that will challenge you in your Christian walk and pretty much make you realize you aren't doing enough to tell others about Him. I enjoy books that challenge my faith and make me want to do more in my community and in my world to share the gospel. They give you that church-camp-high that'll hopefully last until you get the idea or motivation or goal in mind of how to reach others from where you are in life. I give it a 9 and recommend it to Christians who need a reminder of why we are here!

Home to Big Stone Gap. It's the last one in the series and I enjoyed it as much as all the others. It really is a good series and I recommend it if you like fiction and you're a woman. I gave the other ones anywhere between an 8-9.5 and I'd say this one is a 9 too. I'm kind of sad that it's over but I look forward to reading some other books by Adriana Trigiani. My favorite quote from this one was "The most important thing I have learned as a married woman is to say a quarter of what I'm thinking and leave the rest in my head, where it belongs." Amen to that.

In Praise of Stay at Home Moms. Oh my. I know a few fans of Dr. Laura but I had never heard or seen her work. I thought I'd check out this book, but I don't think I'll be a fan of hers. I agree with a lot of what she says but like many people on TV and radio, HOW she says it is often inappropriate if she really wants her message to reach others. Those who aren't stay at home moms who read this will just be sent on a guilt trip, and even though I am a stay at home mom I felt bad reading the stuff she was spewing out with such disdain. She would call me being "hypersensitive" most likely, but I don't care for her bluntness that just comes across and insensitive and rude. She needs a lesson in humility. There were some great parts to this book but I couldn't get past the comments that tore down more than built up. So I recommend it to no one (unless you really feel like the world is against you as a SAHM, and I have never felt that way) and give it a 3.



I finally watched the Anne of Green Gables movies and they were everything I remembered them to be from my childhood. It brought back fond memories of my grandmother's house. They picked the perfect character to play Anne and she really does have a great nose just like Anne in the book! I remember as a child always being confused if Marilla was a nice or mean woman and I still felt that way watching it years later! I didn't finish the second one because I didn't want it to spoil the 4th book for me so I will go back when I'm further into the series.

What are you reading? (Rules of ratings seen here)

2 comments:

The Moores said...

Alice watched the video with me and said, "wow, she reads fast!". Good job Liv!

kmom said...

Olivia, you are a very good reader! I'm glad you like books. Love, Grammy

Related Posts with Thumbnails