Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Book Review Looking Back 2012

Before I review the next 3 books I wanted to take a look back at books for 2012. I read 54 books this year and the only one I tried and couldn't finish was Sense and Sensibility. I just can't get into that genre, but I'll try again some day. You never know. After all I did finally finish the Hobbit after multiple tries!

My favorite book in 2012 was The Fountainhead. 
(Runner up awards go to Bright's Passage, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, We Need to talk about Kevin, This Is Where I Leave You, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Family Fang, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Game of Thrones, and Calm My Anxious Heart)
My least favorite book for 2012 was Petals on the Wind
My favorite devotional book was Calm My Anxious Heart
The nerdiest book for 2012 was What the Dog Saw
The funniest book for 2012 was I Was Told There'd be Cake
The weirdest book for 2012 was The Family Fang
My favorite series for 2012 was the Big Stone Gap series.
Those are all the awards I can think of. Congrats to the winners. Your prize is simply recognition on an unfamous blog. I'm sure you're pumped.

My goals for 2013 are to finish the Anne of Green Gables series and the Song of Ice and Fire Series, to read more memoirs or biographies, at least one C.S. Lewis book and to read Catcher in the Rye, because sadly I think I did not do that this year!




I read Anthem because I liked the Fountainhead and I want to read Atlas Shrugged, but I figured I needed some warming up before I tackle another huge one. This was very short and pretty much introduces Ayn Rand's philosophical views through a fictitious tale that I didn't find very interesting or profound but maybe it was back in the day. A bit too contrived for me. The synopsis of it basically tells you the whole story. Anyway I give it a 5 and don't recommend it.


Game of Thrones. Besides the Harry Potter books this is the only fantasy book I've ever read and I loved it! I look forward to the next 3 in the series. Ryan read it too so it was fun to discuss with each other. It took me by surprise how much I like this book and I give it a 10. I hear the show is good too so we will probably check it out online.

I wanted to see The Hobbit but I always like to read the book before the movie so I read it. When we bought our house there was a cool 50th anniversary edition left in our garage. I've attempted to read it 2 or 3 times in the past and could never get very far. It was kind of hard for me to finish this time but I did but I only give it a 5. I'm not sure why I didn't like it, but it just dragged on with not enough plot twists or excitement. I don't know how in the world they are making it into multiple movies, it's not that long but I guess we'll see. I predict I"ll like the movie more than the book.

What do you want to read in 2013?

4 comments:

JanaGriffis said...

I'm happy I'm not the only one that didn't really like Anthem. I know several people that consider it one of their favorite books and I just don't get it. I found it so uninteresting, it took me several tries to even get through it and it's so short- so that says something.

Heather Valee said...

Ryan made me watch the movie, Atlas Shrugged, it was pretty low budget but interstesting. I saw this and told Ryan you're reading Ayn Rand as I knew he would be excited, he's a big fan of her economic outlook.

Anonymous said...

Are you saying you haven't read Narnia? Granted I didn't finish reading them until I was married, but I did start them in middle and high school. They are pretty good from my stand point, but I think we have different views in books. :) Jessica Van Winkle

Ryan and Katie said...

Correct, Ive read nothing by Lewis including Narnia. I would like to read that series at some point, but there are a few other series Im reading this year so Im not sure I will get to it

Related Posts with Thumbnails