Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Baking: Pecans

A new holiday favorite food is sugar-n-spice pecans that my dad makes, and we made for the first time. Pecans are expensive if you buy them in a store. REALLY expensive. Luckily we have a pecan tree...and so do our neighbors, so they are free to us! (Plus the cost of getting 11 pounds of nuts cracked which was $4....if I do the math correctly I think we saved over $100 on pecans!) Pecan picking and shelling is a very fun activity for 3 year olds and she was always eager to help!
Ingredients:
1 lb. Pecan halves
1 Egg White 
1 Tbsp Water
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 t salt
1 Tbsp Sweet n Spicy Blend
(which is 2 T lt brown sugar, 2 T cinn, 4 t ginger, 1 t nutmeg, 1/2  t cloves, 1/2 t cardamom)

I have no way to measure how much a pound of pecans was so I just filled a baking pan and that's how much I used per recipe and it worked just fine!
First measure out your pecans
Then beat the egg white and water until it looks like meringue
Mix the sugar and sweet-n-spice blend in a bowl and set aside
Fold the pecans into the meringue until all are coated.
Then add the sugary mix
Put on a baking dish in the oven for an hour on 275 and stir every 15 minutes.
Now we have treats to share with friends and neighbors and plenty to eat ourselves too! (And lemme tell ya...all the weight I've gained in the past few weeks, is due to these delicious little treats. If they are around....I have NO self-discipline!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very yummy! Love Mom aka Gma

kmom said...

You might look at a sack of pecans in a store. Often they tell how many cups are in the package and how many ounces the package weighs. Many people would love a gift of plain or sugared pecans. You are so lucky you didn't have to buy them.

JanaGriffis said...

Can I just say these were the most delicious treats I've had in a LONG time. Ryan & I devoured these pretty much the night you brought them by! Thank you so much for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails