Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review

Divergent is a young adult novel that could be compared to Hunger Games. It is also a trilogy that takes place in the dystopian future, but the people are divided into factions by character traits that they are tested for and then decide upon at the age of 16. It was a fast read and intriguing, but overall a lot more hokey to me than Hunger Games. I will most likely read the series but not with the same verocity as HG. Of course I had to see if it will be a movie and it will be, but I'm not sure I could stomach the violence of this one. HG was bad enough for me so I might just stick with the books. I give it a 6.5.


The Fault in Our Stars was a recommendation I received from a facebook comment on a friend's wall. I loved this book. It's a 10. It's quite depressing, but you know I love a good melancholy tale. I didn't know until I was halfway through that it is also considered a "young adult" book but just because it's about young adults doesn't mean that grown ups can't enjoy it! (Isn't 30 still a young adult?) I got a lot of great quotes from this book. I'm fairly certain it will be a movie....and a tearjerker for sure (maybe even for those of us who don't cry when cutting onions) and I hope they cast Mae Whitman as Hazel and Ezra Miller as Augustus. I'm looking forward to reading some of this author's other books.

Falling Together. So this was the book club pick last month and I somehow forgot to review it on here even though I read it weeks ago so it's a bit hard to remember. I do remember reading through it pretty fast and there were lots of intriguing questions I wanted answers to so that kept me turning pages, but when it was all done the story and the relationships were a little unbelievable and weird to me so I only give it a 7, which was about everyone else's opinion in book club too.

The Paris Wife is a fiction (but I'd say historical fiction) book about the life of Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley. It really was a great read and I don't think you have to be a fan of Hemingway or the 20's to enjoy it because I knew nothing about them and loved it! There were so many other authors they hobknobbed with in Paris and I learned all about the drama and turmoil of the "Lost Generation." I already had Gatsby on my list to read this year but now I'm intrigued by more of these authors. We'll see what comes of it. I give it a 8.5 and recommend it to those who like memoirs.

The Paleo Diet. I'm not trying to lose weight and it's not a book I would usually read, but I hear good things about this way of life especially for those with auto immune diseases. And if I can improve my health any by eating better rather than taking as many medications as I am, then I'm all for trying it out. I still need to read lots more recipe books but we'll see if I can manage for a few weeks. If anyone else eats Paleo I'd be happy to hear tips :)

Rules of rating seen here

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails