Sunday, March 03, 2013

Book Review

The Wednesday Wars. This is the second book I've read by this author and I really like his style. I feel like the whole book was kind of like a season of The Wonder Years. It's a little coming of age book about a boy in Jr. High during the time of the Vietnam War. He's at that age where he's recognizing his parents are people, his teachers are people, and his sister is a person with feelings and motives all their own and while it's nothing profound, I found it to be a very delightful read. I give it a 7 and recommend it if you like Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper.


River Cross my Heart was kind of all over the place and I couldn't get into it. I never cared much for any of the characters and nothing significant happened to any of them except in the first chapter. Then it was all downhill. And she was introducing new characters over half way through the book. Then never mentioning them again. No momentum, but she did have a beautiful style of writing, I just couldn't get into this story. I give it a 4.

The Power of Habit isn't a usual type of book we would read for book club but it was the pick this month and I really enjoyed it. The science behind why we do the actions we do every day and how we can change those if we want to was really fascinating. And even though it's journalistic and science based...it's easy to understand. The case studies and real life business models from why we use toothpaste to how febreeze almost flopped to how Target knows when people are pregnant before anyone else knows were fun to read about. And I especially could appreciate the lessons in the book since I am currently changing my eating habits. I give it a 9.

Choose Joy is the book our ladies class on Wednesday night has been reading the past few weeks. The book was pretty good but like most spiritual or religious books, I enjoy the discussion and class time that comes from the book much more than just reading it. I give it a 7. The author has been through a lot in her life and speaks honestly about her hardships in overcoming sorrow to choose joy in her life. I really enjoyed her definition of Joy: the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be all right, and the determined choice to praise God in all things.


The Little Giant of Aberdeen County. I hate it when I love the intrigue that the first half of a book creates and then the second half is just kind of a let down. There was family generational drama, death, medical marvalry, small town happenings, witchcraft, sisterly bonds, and lots of other things it had going for it. But there were some significant changes I think the author could've made to come around and save this book for me, but since she has a larger audience to cater to than me, I doubt she will comply. The main character is a lady who has a disorder that makes her keep growing beyond puberty, so she's large. This makes her an outcast of sorts in the small town and in her own family, but the author dwelled on it so much it became gross to me whenever she descriptively wrote on and on in detail about folds of skin or valleys and crags of her face. It was an aspect of her persona, but I don't think it needed to be dwelled on so much. The story would've been the same had she not focused on the details of her body. Or maybe I just have a light stomach when it comes to describing obesity. (Which does not accurately describe acromegaly at all but the author also didn't seem to have much of a medical grasp on it besides googling it like I did) Who knows. That was just one point that bugged me, but I won't get into others because it might ruin the tale if you choose to read it.  It's a 6.

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

love book review time!

kmom said...

I just finished reading a book we borrowed from Sara Beard: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It became interesting around page 50. It concerns the time during and after the occupation of the Germans of an island in the English Channel during WWII. It is very good and I think others would like it. It even has questions at the end that could be used at a book club.

Ryan and Katie said...

It was a good book. We read that one in book club awhile back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails