Friday, March 01, 2013

The House Stuff

So I've mentioned this house before that we love. It's a short sale but it's in a great neighborhood, we love the layout, it's still in this area of OKC, it's old, it's got character, it has 2 bathrooms (!), an awesome yard, a place to go during tornadoes and that can double as Ryan's "man cave". After looking at houses for 6 months, it's really the only one we've thought about for more than 2 minutes. 
I'm nervous by showing you this house you will try to steal it from me but I think when you see the crack in the back wall and the basement wall caving in, you will get scared too.

I think we first saw it in Sept. Then Ryan's parents came in October and we saw it with them and our realtor. Ryan's dad agreed it was a piece of work (It has foundation issues along with some other repairs), but if we could get it for x amount it would be a great deal. We decided to put it out of our minds for the time being and with the holidays approaching we had other things to occupy our minds. But after more and more houses and more and more disappointments we kept coming back to that one. The price dropped (but not low enough) and we decided if it was still on the market after the new year we'd be more serious and just throw out a low ball offer. So we did that in January and are still playing the waiting game with the bank. There is another offer on it, but the realtor is pretty sure they will be impatient and pull it. The bank has counter offered once but they have no idea the condition it is in, so there will be weeks, maybe months, until they go out and get an inspection, appriasal etc. Then if we move forward we will have to hire a structural engineer (anyone know a good one?) to give us an estimate of the work BEFORE we even decide if we want to keep our offer. So we aren't putting our house on the market because I don't want to be homeless. All we can do is be patient and keep looking to see if another house pops up that we like better. Our realtor keeps telling me I can't fall in love with a short sale and I can't count on it, but it's too late. In the mean time, I still love our  current home, and if we don't find anything, we are content to be here awhile longer (especially since the annoying people with the barking dog finally moved), but it would also be nice for a change of scenery. So anyway that's the low down on the house stuff.

6 comments:

Jana + Ryan said...

1. This house does look adorable & makes me happy for you guys... & also silently disgruntled. ;)
2. When I went home for lunch yesterday, "the drug house" across the street had a moving van pulled up to it's front door so I'm crossing my fingers that they're gone.
3. I promise you that if you do put your house on the market... we'll actually make ours look more presentable to help you out. ALTHOUGH, maybe I shouldn't so you can't move so we don't get stuck with who knows with our neighborhood. Maybe we'll have to sit with packs of beer & guns in our driveway & spit at people looking..... :)

Shawn and Becky said...

The house looks beautiful!! If it was in Oregon I could help you out with a structural engineer. Don't know any in OKC. Hope it all works out for you! New houses are so much fun.

Leslie said...

fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. fingers crossed. wait a second i don't have this many fingers....fingers and toes crossed. fingers and toes crossed. fingers and toes crossed. fingers and toes crossed. fingers and toes crossed.

Summer Lashley said...

I actually do know a structural engineer. We just used him for the house we bought. I'll pass along his information if you're interested.

Erin said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this because it's been nagging me in my mind about the status of you guys finding a new house! I will pray it works out. It looks adorable, charming, wonderful...perfect for you guys!

kmom said...

Your Uncle Gary is a structural engineer. It might be cheaper to pay for his airfare from Detroit to OKC than to pay one there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails