Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wake Up Call

Our neighborhood....I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. Here is the drama that all unfolded before 8 am this morning. So while I was in TN, Ryan informed me that our troublesome neighbors (not to be confused with the awesome ones) now had roosters living in their yard. I was 99.9% sure this was illegal in the city limits because they are NOISY and roosters serve no purpose in the city except for illegal cock fighting. He called the city action line last week, but this morning at 6am they were crowing. About every 30 seconds. And it was loud. And I was not happy. This isn't the country, we are not on a farm, I can see the Devon Tower from my house so why is there a rooster awakening me at this time of day?
I called the police (I did NOT call 911, mom, just the normal line) and asked who to report this to. The code regulation office was closed so they said I had to wait until Monday. So I have to listen to this crowing for 24 hours? (I realize I could go over to the house and talk to them but there are several reasons we chose not to that I will not go into now so I can keep this story short and funnier) She said she could have the police come by for a noise violation and I could also try animal welfare. I tried animal welfare and they said call the police. Awesome. The noise was getting louder and when I checked the backyard I realized why. The ginormous rooster was now on our garage roof! And it was the prettiest and hugest rooster I'd ever seen. But guess what? Our property, our problem, game on, foghorn leghorn!
 I came and woke Ryan up. He sleepily got dressed and went to find his sling shot (there were no pellets for the gun). I watched with half open eyes as he took aim....and the sling shot broke. He then threw various items at it until it came off the roof. Meanwhile a SECOND ROOSTER from the neighbor's yard hopped the 6 foot fence into our yard! I was on the phone with the officer who was on the way to the house when the two roosters started fighting in our yard. I would have gotten better pics, but Olivia finally woke up and came running in the kitchen to announce she'd peed all over the bathroom and herself, as the police officer said "Well maybe it's better if they just kill each other. Problem solved."  Ryan snuck up behind them with a box while they were fighting and trapped them.
We put a cinder block on it to hold it down and finished getting ready for church. (I called Lo to see if she wanted them but even farm people don't want roosters!) The police officer came and talked to us and said he couldn't do anything really but call animal welfare to come get them but they probably wouldn't since it was a Sunday. He didn't want to tell the neighbors because they might want them back but he decided to anyway and the man said "they are my friend's roosters and he didn't come to get them so just let animal welfare have them." Riiiiight. So we went to church, came home 2 hours later around noon to find the box turned over. We assumed animal welfare had come until I turned and saw one SITTING IN OUR FLOWER BED. Looking half dead. And then I spied the other one in the bushes. They had obviously been fighting pretty bad, so Ryan easily trapped them once again, this time in 2 separate boxes. I kept thinking the neighbors might come knock on our door wanting their cock fighters back but no. Animal Welfare came around 6pm and he was a very nice man who gladly took a picture with a rooster for me.
He was going to take them to the vet to see if they  would make it and then be adopted. The whole time he was there we could hear our neighbor in his backyard, listening to his precious "friend's" prize fighters being looked over. Mr. Animal Welfare said since they were missing their combs they were most likely being kept for fighting which is pretty sad, but not sad enough to make me quit eating chicken. They really were beautiful birds, he asked Liv if she wanted to pet one, but I'm glad she declined. Anyway that was our exciting Sunday. I'm just hoping they don't get anymore roosters and they don't try to retaliate in some way. Between them and the drug dealers and Bobbie and Yolanda and their little dog Stank Stank...I'm starting to think Youngs Englewood Neighborhood needs a reality show.

10 comments:

Jana + Ryan said...

This really made me laugh. Your poor luck with those neighbors! We got lucky that we just have the old woman that never leaves her house or makes a peep on the other side of us. Ryan & I were trying to figure out WHERE the rooster was. We didn't realize it was on the other side of you. Hahahaha. I am so glad they're gone... you guys just rescued the neighborhood!

Chellie said...

Totally is illegal in city limits. Ridiculous that the city did not respond to the action line call. They are supposed to respond withing like 24 or 48 hours. Sounds like a news story to me... except that they are now gone.

Shawn and Becky said...

Ha! With Sunday's like that I can't believe you'd ever want to move. You's be so bored!

The Moores said...

Wow. So much awesomeness in one day! Your nieghborhood sounds about as classy as ours.

Anonymous said...

We have a rooster in our neighborhood too. I'll have Ry catch it next time he's here. Mom aka Gma

kmom said...

Wow! I can't believe the neighbor didn't come get them. Glad the rooster problem was rather quickly solved. Who would want to adopt a rooster? A chicken farmer?

Ryan and Katie said...

Maybe a chicken farmer but I'm willing to bet they just end up on someone's table for dinner :)

kmom said...

I don't think people eat roosters much, just hens.

Leslie said...

i don't know what i would have done. glad someone finally came out to rescue them!

okcowgirl421 said...

This is really fantastic. My favorite part is definitely you calling him Foghorn Leghorn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails