Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oklahoma's Time Capsule

I was super excited when I heard about this revealing of a 100 year old time capsule in the basement of the Lutheran church downtown. The unveiling of it and the contents was open to the public and I thought it would be a combo of "If These Walls Could Talk" and "Antiques Roadshow" but live! I wasn't sure how huge of an event it would be but I knew the history museum was involved and it seemed to be getting some press.
Liv and I arrived a few minutes early to find out we would be in a tent next to the church where it would be televised on a screen. Only the VIP people got to be in the church. (Maybe I should've told them I was blogging about it and they would've let me in?) Oh well, we got some brochures and a program, and a few free pastries to bide our time. 
Noah and Jenna met us and I was ready for a few minutes of speaking then figured they would open it up and start showing the goods and we would get to go inside and see them after all the VIP people did. Alas, it was over an HOUR of speeches by the preacher, the governor, the history museum people, the choir, the mayor, the ancestors, etc. I let Liv eat 5 croissants just so she'd sit through all that.
Then they finally started opening each carefully preserved item with gloved hands and the history experts would come and explain what it was. It was pretty interesting, but by then my daughter had had enough and there was a long list of items to unwrap and it was becoming clear all we would get to see was what was on the screen so we left. Bummer.
We kept Liv and Noah interested by calling it a treasure chest. I kept accidentally calling it a time machine, but whatever. If I'd known the pomp and circumstance would've lasted that long I wish we would have just come late to see the items but oh well, I'm sure it will be on the news if I want to see it! It was a beautiful day and we got to play at the park so it wasn't a complete fail of a day!

6 comments:

theblogdaysofsommer said...

I heard on the raido or somewhere that they're going to turn them into an exhibit at the history center I think. I saw some pictures of the items, so I bet the exhibit ends up being pretty interesting.

Gena said...

I love how you explore the city. I almost said I love how nerdy you are but I thought you might take offense to that? I mean it as the highest compliment.....

Leslie said...

how has nobody commented on the croissants yet? remember when you used to be able to do that? house 5 croissants and not even think about anything else except how good that 6th croissant would be? mmm. actually, now that i think about it, the only time i was allowed to do that was when my mom got conned into buying a huge pack of like 36 croissants at costco and a week later realized there was no way her family of four would finish the pack and they were gross by then anyway so she would hand it over to me. WHY would i then eat so many?! ugh. now it's making me sick to think about stale croissants. but next time i see olivia, you can bet that we're going to have a croissant-off. be prepared, liv!! :)

(woah, train of thought typing)

Ryan and Katie said...

Oh Leslie...I used to work at Sams and I know ALL about polishing off croissants! Especially stale ones!!

devon lorraine ... said...

Did you ever find out what was inside the "time machine"? I'm going to google it, such a cliffhanger here!

Ryan and Katie said...

Yes we stayed for some of it and there are like 80 pics online i looked at. Lots of native american things, state fair winning pieces, quilts, fashion of the day, pictures, newspapers, an old phone, some books, etc

Related Posts with Thumbnails