Sunday, June 02, 2013

Book Review

The Girl in the Blue Beret. I really liked the main story and the true history behind the French resistance during WWII. I enjoy learning about true events through fictional accounts (although much of this book was based on the author's father and other true characters). However, I didn't really care for the protagonist, there wasn't really closure on all the characters and stories, and I felt it needed better editing overall so I give the book a 6.5.  I do feel books like this are important for younger adults to read as we can't really relate to "war time" and this book really made some of the horrors of it come to life. Which is also depressing but you know what they say about learning about history.... Anytime I read books like this I am more thankful not only for America's servicemen, but also the acts of civilians all over the world who risk their lives for others' safety.

The Great Gatsby. I wanted to read this book before I saw the movie and I easily finished it in 2 days. I enjoyed it when I read it in high school, but I enjoyed it even more now. It's written so well and there are so many different themes that are explored. If I were in school I would write a paper on the quote "It is invariably saddening to look through new eyes at things upon which you have expended your own powers of adjustment" but I'm not so I'll just ponder it silently. I give it a 9. (I read this on the ipad and would still prefer to turn the pages of a book.) I really would like to read more Fitzgerald. P.S. We saw the movie and loved it too but this is a book review so that's all I'll say.

The Obituary Writer was a book mentioned in book club, but we ended up not choosing it, but I still wanted to read it. It follows the story of 2 women in 2 different eras and explores the role of women a bit in those times (Although I tend to be a bit old fashioned I am thankful I am alive during this present era). While I usually find myself only caring about one of the stories in a book like this, I liked them equally. I figured out about halfway through how their lives intersected. I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended but I still liked it. I give it a 7.5

Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy. We've been studying the book of Ruth on Wednesday nights in ladies class with the help of this little book, and I enjoyed it. The author is a bit random at times and I didn't really get what the recipes had to do with anything, but like most Bible studies, the conversation in class is always better than the book anyway! I don't like rating Bible themed books, because you will get out of it as much as you put into it no matter how random the author is at times. The questions and workbook section of this were great though.

I've got lots of good books lined up for the trip to TN. I am excited about them all and not sure which one to start yet! What are you reading right now?

Rules of rating seen here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails