Friday, July 26, 2013

Stockyards City Tour

(This post is not for vegetarians)
I can't tell you how many times I've been to Stockyards City to eat at Cattlemen's Steakhouse. It's one of my favs and it's a mile from my house. And yet I never knew that directly behind it was the World's Largest Stocker and Feeder Cattle Market. See this sign tells you! And it's been there over 100 years!
I thought that was like "back in the day" and now Stockyards City was just a place for the cowboys to buy boots and whatnot. Now I feel a bit silly! Danielle had this tour planned for the kiddos and it was very educational. 
Liv was SUPER excited to see REAL cowboys. She literally would start pointing at jumping up and down when she saw one. I hope they felt flattered by this city chick.
You can't believe how many stocks and cows are there. And they sell them all in a day and half working all night. Then they do it all again the next week! 
The smell upon arrival was pretty strong and the sound of the cows mooing was kind of depressing to be honest. (But I still had meat spaghetti that night so it obviously didn't phase me too much)
We got to see how they round them up and guide them out to the stalls and into the auction arena
The tour guide let us peek in the actual auction process which I thought was the most interesting thing. And I was mesmerized by how fast the auctioneer talks.
All the various cowboys are scattered throughout this room with phones to their ears to do their bidding. It's just a foreign field to me but very interesting nonetheless considering it deals directly with food I consume! (And FYI they no longer slaughter any cows here, they are just sold)
 
These girls had a lot to ponder as they walked back to the car and thought about where their food comes from!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do the pretty blue shirts say that the kids are wearing? Mom aka Gma

Ryan and Katie said...

They are church shirts with Mayfair on the front and come one come all on the back...VBS was a daniel and lions/ carnival theme.

Shawn and Becky said...

I feel like its hard for kids to get the full concept of where their food comes from - or maybe it's hard for me to tell them?!? Looks like a fun tour either way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails