Monday, October 21, 2013

Books

If you haven't read any of my posts lately I think you will be able to tell something about my life this month just by my skimpy book review alone. 

There's only one book on it. 

I feel very inadequate right now, but if I delay this post until there are more books, I will forget this one.

Nurture Shock was an amazing read. I give it a 9.5 and have been excited to have conversations with others about things we read in this book. It's a social study on various aspects of children's growth and why many of our assumptions about the best things for children are wrong. I learned fascinating things about how praise harms children's internal motivation, why it's good for parents to argue with their teenagers, how certain kinds of play are more educational than any school teaching method, how conversing with my child at a young age about race and differences is more important than exposing her to different cultures, what am I doing to make my child lie to me more, etc. It truly was an enlightening read and has changed the way I react to Liv during certain situations. I recommend it to parents and if you read this book please email or call me so we can discuss it even more! Thanks Whitney!

Since I don't have any other grown up books to share I will share my favorite library book of Liv's lately.
When Blue Met Egg. The story is cute, the ending has a twist that made me laugh out loud, and I love the illustrations all around Manhattan. We have checked out all the books on this list (not all at once), some were better than others but we enjoyed most of them!

What are you reading? What are your kids reading?
We have recently started reading aloud Liv's first chapter book and I will gladly review it next month....hopefully I will have more grown up books to review as well!

Rules of rating seen here.



4 comments:

kmom said...

Is Bronson related to Kelly Bronson, Olivia's imaginary friend? Actually, last I heard, she is Red Bear's friend.

Valerie said...

I've read a lot about Nutureshock. Glad to know you liked it. I'll have to check it out.

Shawn and Becky said...

I was given this book but haven't read it yet . . . need to for sure. Thanks for you review!

Whitney said...

Isn't NutureShock so thought provoking? I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's one I feel I should read once a year because I need a refresher course based on each age. The things I apply the most based on the book is the importance of sleep and my approach to lying. I look forward to discussing it with you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails