Friday, October 11, 2013

Mixed Emotions

Today we were supposed to close on the house we love. However, we chose to walk away from it. Our lender told us Tuesday in addition to the structural engineer report and inspection they wanted a roof certification and estimate of foundation work cost. Ryan and our realtor did their best to get all these estimates within 3 days, and when we did they all disagreed with each other, but the one thing they did agree on was that our structural engineer had done a shoddy report and it needed way more work than we had believed. A LOT more work means a LOT more money.

I am glad we found out before closing, but we are still pretty bummed. We did lose some money into that house with all the inspections, but had we not done our homework I would have always kicked myself for not doing it whenever I thought about the home. We could lower our offer but then it could be 9 more months of waiting like it was this time and when we can't get any professionals to agree on the foundation repairs....I'm not sure we want to deal with figuring out who to listen to. And when it comes resale time who knows what that new inspector would say about what we had done. Sooooo we prayed for wisdom in all of this and others were praying too and I feel we did make the wise choice, but it still stinks. There isn't much coming on the market, the interest rates are going up, we haven't seen but 3 houses in a year that interest us, so I'm feeling a bit drained and defeated from house hunting.

The timing of it all really began to feel like providence and now I'm having some serious talks with God about what His plans are. It was probably for the best that I was in TN when all this was going down because I couldn't fret over it when I was focused on the important things in life: holding the new life of my niece, spending moments with Poppy in the hospital, encouraging my sister in her new mommy role, spending the afternoon with my best bud, watching my daughter have fun with her grandparents and new cousin, etc. In an effort to keep my mind off of the house, today I will be repeating Proverbs 19:21 in my head all day and singing Raffi "All I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly, love in my family....."

5 comments:

AM said...

No way!! :( How stressful! Sounds like it was for the best?? Ugh.

Anonymous said...

This is aunt debby....so sorry for the disappointment.....praying for you :)

kmom said...

So sorry for your house problems. I will keep praying. It only takes one house and you are ready. Meantime, your rent house is ok. Big hug.

Chellie said...

Sorry for the disappointment, but you are right better to know now than to have a bigger headache/expense later.
I hope you find something amazing!

Shawn and Becky said...

Thinking of you guys. Disappointment is so hard! Hang in there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails