Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Poppy was put on hospice Tuesday and he left this earth to be with Jesus today. 
The best hand holder in the world is gone. I loved his humble soul and his quiet sense of humor. When I was little I listened to records at his house, heard him preach, and he took Amy and I on hikes at various parks. When I was a teen I helped him with Blood Drive posters in town. When he started losing his vision he always called me the prettiest blur he ever saw. In college we held the world's fastest phone conversations ever because he never could understand that it really wasn't expensive to talk long distance anymore. He and my grandmother even came to Oklahoma my freshman year. When Ryan came into the family and he found out he had Branson ties we heard tales of trips to Table Rock Lake and Springfield....over and over again. And my visits home became more and more special seeing him play with Liv despite his limitations. She calls him Pop with a cane. I could talk about the man he was, the teacher, the preacher, the veteran, the twin, the volunteer, but he wasn't those things to me....he was my Poppy and I love him.
You have left behind a wonderful legacy of love.
We will miss you Poppy!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have loved watching the pictures you have put up of him over the years with Liv. So precious. My prayers are with your family.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandparents were such wondrful people, and I am so pleased I got to know them. -April

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Katie. You all will be in my thoughts. So glad he got to meet Olivia and little Mary Belle before he passed. Cherish those sweet memories! Love you.

Kelli

kmom said...

Thank you for a great tribute. Love, Mom

TLKOREGON said...

I just LOVE that picture of him giving Liv a kiss on the cheek, her smile is so sweet! Praying for you right now. Grandparents are such hard people to learn to live without. Love you.

Shawn and Becky said...

Thinking of you. Sounds like he was a wonderful man!

Related Posts with Thumbnails