Sunday, October 13, 2013

Working Woman

I haven't mentioned it here yet, but I started working part time with an interior designer in Edmond a few weeks ago. She also just so happens to be our preacher's wife so we already knew each other which made the interview process fairly simple. I'm just working on the 2 days Liv goes to school (and occasionally from home if I need to), and I have some wonderful friends who shuffle her around until I can come pick her up. I think it's a great fit for our family so I can still be at home with Liv most of the time and ease my way back into the "working world" (please understand that I KNOW full time moms work too, I just mean "working" in the sense that I receive a pay check and have to file taxes), especially when she's in school full time next year!

So far I've gotten to help pick fabric, trim, lighting, plants, pots, artwork, and accessories. I've hung pictures, measured windows for blinds, laid carpet pad, ordered cabinets, scheduled installations, and researched items online. I've picked up orders and delivered orders and seen how much I can cram into my Corolla. I'm re-learning my way around Edmond and have put miles on the car just running around the burbs. And sadly I'm realizing I might have to get one of those smart phones pretty soon as it would make all the communicating I do a lot simpler when I'm on the job. I've already run into someone from a previous design job I had and it was cool to reconnect with her. It's been fun getting back into the design world. When I set foot in Interior Fabrics I was like a kid in a candy store! So many new fun trims! So many colorful fabrics! Damasks and velvets and chevrons Oh My!

I do miss picking Liv up from school. The smile on her face when she sees me and the memories fresh on her mind about her day aren't there when I pick her up at Noah's (she's just mad that I'm taking her away from his house and cries the whole way home.) But we go through her backpack together and she shows me all the fun work she did at school. Like this awesome drawing of our family.
She drew us all in our favorite colors. :) I asked why daddy had a frown on his face, but she told me that was a mustache! I love all the alphabet art. She practices her letters a lot at home now.
It's been a time of change in our lives, but I'm excited for the opportunity I have and am enjoying the job. I feel blessed to be able to do something that's very flexible too and can work around my priorities of being a mother as well. Anyway, we'll see what the future holds and maybe I'll post job related things on here from time to time. If you need any design work in your home or office, I can point you in the right direction! :)

3 comments:

kmom said...

I enjoyed seeing Olivia's artwork. I especially enjoyed the pictures of her family. The other one you did not show, she said she forgot their hair. The one you did show, she said Daddy had a beard. I said it looked like a mustache. Did he have one then?

Anonymous said...

Our girl is such a good artist. Glad she gets that talent from mom and dad and not her grandma. She literally makes better stick figures than I do. Can't wait to see you in a couple of days. Love, Grandma aka Mom

Shawn and Becky said...

Congrats on the new job. I love flexible employers who work with moms knowing we want to be there for our children and also have a small piece of the working world.

Related Posts with Thumbnails