Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Be Still

My daughter fell asleep cuddled on my lap after a day of not feeling well and a low fever. This is rare. She is a high energy four year old who rarely has a moment to sit still, and if she does it's usually not to cuddle with me! She was so out of it, I could have lifted her head, let it fall to the couch cushion, and gotten some work around the house done. But these moments are fleeting....
I needed to finish laundry, I needed to clean the house, I needed to finish my book club book, I needed to text my boss to say I probably would need to stay home with my daughter tomorrow, and I needed to finish putting away the Christmas decor. But what did I really need? I needed to be still in the moment. To cherish my daughter, comfort her, and spend the hour on that couch in prayer and reflection and gratitude. Without a phone, ipad, book, or TV remote within reach there was nothing to do but rest in the stillness and count my blessings. There are many...but she is by far one of the greatest.
(Obviously the camera was within reach for me to try and capture my sleeping beauty from a very awkward angle. 24 hours later the fever was gone and she was back to her bouncy self and I'm thankful for that too!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad she's feeling better. The holidays were pretty rough around here. Bursitis, strep, bronchitis, upper respiratory bacterial infection, coughs, flu, colds... Just as well nobody got to come home for Christmas. You probably would have taken all or some of it home with you. We missed you anyway. Love, Mom aka Gma

kmom said...

You are wise to appreciate and thank God for the important things in life.

Heather Valee said...

love this post!

Jennifer said...

I love those snuggly moments!

Shawn and Becky said...

They become so few and far between. So glad you can take them when they come.

Related Posts with Thumbnails