Friday, January 17, 2014

Book Review

Now that the holidays are over and our routine is back, I'm back on track with reading and although it's still early in the month here is my first review of the year!

The Shadow of the Wind was our book club pick this month and although it took awhile to get into I enjoyed it a lot! It's a mystery and suspense novel that follows a young boy in the 50's as he tries to find out more about the author of his favorite book. (It's probably exactly what would've happened if I had ever chose to stalk Mr. Salinger....RIP JD.) So many twists and turns that left me guessing the whole time. Long but worth it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it is a translated book and there were a few times phrases I think were lost in translation and much of the Barcelona history was a little lost on me...but it was a learning experience! I give it an 8.5

Captivating. I feel like this book about discovering a woman's heart has some messages that some women need to hear....but I'm not sure I'm that woman. I really liked about 2 chapters in it and I found myself really wanting to rally behind some things they said, or have Ryan read it when it talked about fathers and daughters, but then it would take a weird turn and I was like wait whaaat? They referenced a lot of pop culture examples and some of their "romantic" opinions didn't seem based on all women (to me) but to maybe just to a majority of American women....or women they've seen as patients. Anytime you lump "all women" into a category I kind of cringe because there's just a lot of differences in us as females! Maybe it's because I listened to it in the car rather than read it so maybe the words came out cheesier sounding than they would have if I had just read them in my head. I don't know, but for whatever reason I just wasn't fond of this book. I give it a 3.5. Lots and lots of other women are fans though so I guess check it our for yourself to see! I still would like to read their book about men called Wild at Heart because I also hear rave reviews on it....we'll see!

Jesus Calling. I got this daily devotional book for Christmas after hearing 500 people say how awesome it was I knew I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I obviously haven't finished it yet but I didn't want to wait until December to tell you all to get it. I love the point of view it's written from and how there really is some area of my life I can find ways to apply the message each day. It's short enough to read before your feet hit the floor in the morning and there are scriptures to go along with the devo of the day. I really want to start journaling along with it....if I can get up just a bit earlier in the morning! Anyway it's great for yourself or someone you know, I give it a 9.

Chapter Books we've been reading to Liv:
Charlottes Web. Spoiler alert....the spider dies. And I KNEW that going into it. Liv and I had even seen the movie last summer together so I think she knew it too. But man, Mr. White sure knows how to write a depressing tale. This is the sentence at the end of the chapter where Charlotte dies: "No one was with her when she died." It's not enough that the spider dies but she dies ALONE?! I am not a cryer when it comes to books, but I couldn't help myself. Then I laughed at myself for crying over something I knew was going to happen and Ryan and Liv laughed at me too. Really though it is a great book...and helps your kids learn about where meat comes from if they didn't know...although I still think Liv thinks cows lay hamburgers like birds lay eggs. Oh well, we'll get there. Out of the three E.B. White books we read, Ryan likes this one the best, I like Trumpet of the Swan best, and Liv likes "all of them."

Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit. Maybe it's because we are reading it right after Charlotte's Web and it's just been a lot of talking farm animals, but I wasn't too fond of this one. The way it's written I think it would be easier to understand if Liv herself was reading it as the characters talking often got confusing even to me. It is a cute story about animals that live at a boarding home and the jealous feelings that happen when a new puppy moves in, good moral and all that but I wasn't a fan of it as a read aloud book.

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished Every Last One by Ann Quindlan and liked it. I know my books aren't usually to your taste, but I thought you might like this one. I think I'll get Jesus Calling for my secret sister. Sounds wonderful. Love, Mom aka Gma

Related Posts with Thumbnails