Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review

(Sorry for the hiatus...I unpacked our whole house like a madwoman then left town for a wild spring break week on the sandy beaches of Henderson, TN with my 4 year old.)

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. Wowza. This is a journalistic look inside the religion of Scientology. From it's founder and leader to the mysteries and drama that surround it to the famous characters involved in it who openly promote it...and jump on Oprah's couch and call Matt Lauer glib etc. I never knew much about this religion and I'm still not sure I can call it a religion but I encourage everyone to read it that likes non-fiction. My only complaint with it is that the timeline jumped around and I got confused a bit at times, but otherwise I thought it was well researched. After reading it I watched several interviews with members and the infamous one time interview with David Miscavige. Now I'm intrigued to read about other random faiths...except they wouldn't consider Scientology a faith because it's all rational....riiiight. I give it an 8.5.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. I love David Sedaris and heard this one wasn't like his other essays but I still loved it. I listened to it on CD and thought it was probably better than reading it because he had different famous actors/actresses reading them which made it quite more amusing. (I did however miss out on the illustrations from Ian Falconer who I love.....whom I love...I don't know) It's an anthropomorphic delight and I laughed out loud in my car several times. I recommend it to those who like Sedaris. I give it an 8.

The Wednesday Daughters. I thought I would check this out since it's the sequel to the Wednesday Sisters that I read a long time ago and enjoyed. This one is about their daughters who became friends and grew up into adulthood. I had high hopes but couldn't make it through. It was pretty bad and confusing. There were too many storylines going on. Past, present, and then some made up dialogue where a dead mother is conversating with a dead Beatrix Potter. I was very disappointed. I can't rate it since I couldn't finish it.

Hyperbole and a Half. Hilarious and Brilliant. If you are a fan of her blog or of self-deprecating comic strips done in Paint, then I highly recommend this book. I laughed out loud several times and even though the book is thick, you can finish it pretty quickly since there aren't many words per page. I can't get over how many hilarious facial expressions she can give a stick figure...and what is that yellow thing on her head? A hat? A blonde ponytail? I give it a 9 but check out her blog first to see if you enjoy her sense of humor.

Chapter Books We're Reading with Liv
The Magician's Nephew is the first in the series of the Chronicles of Narnia so we got a little out of order but this tells how Narnia began so really it's a prequel and you can read it anywhere in the series I think. I really liked it but I think it was harder for Olivia to follow at times. Some of those Old English phrases are really confusing too. I needed to google them whilst reading.

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right now I'm reading The Light In The Ruins by Chris Bohjalian, listening to The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin, and the girls and I are on #6 in the Nancy Drew Mysteries called The Secret Of Red Gate Farm. Have fun in Tennessee. Love, Mom aka Gma

Related Posts with Thumbnails