Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Book Reviews

Life Lessons for Dads. I'm listing this book first because I have special ties to the author and his family. They are friends of ours, and I guess I could be biased, but I really think Michael did a wonderful job creating this little gem for dads of daughters. He is the author of the popular Life to Her Years blog and the book is similarly done. Beautiful photos are accompanied on each page with ways that fathers and daughters can add precious memories to the life they have together. I think this book would make a great gift for fathers day, new dads, or expecting dads. There's even a spot on the inside for you to post your own memorable photo! You can order them from Amazon but they are also at many bookstores like Barnes and Noble. Check it out or buy a few for the specials daddios in your life!

The Giver I read while I was in TN eons ago. I also read it in 6th grade, which was even more eons ago, and remembered really liking it then. Since the movie is coming out later this year I thought I would revisit this newer children's classic. I enjoyed it and appreciated it for what it is. Now that I'm older obviously I see some flaws in the plot, but I do think the author does a brilliant job of creating a world for kids to question and think about, basically a teacher's dream! It's hard to rate since it is for younger kids but I'd probably give it an 8.

Between Shades of Gray. Stop what you're thinking right now. This book has nothing to do with THAT book. It's historical fiction told from the viewpoint of a teenage girl about the Soviets deporting many Baltic countries to lands as far away as Siberia. This is one of those areas of WWII that I had never heard about so I learned something new...depressing but new. This was a page turner for me and although it was fiction much of it was based on the author's family history. There always seems to be a positive message about the human spirit in books like this and I really enjoyed it. I give it an 8.5

The Book Thief. I can't take much more WWII books. I mean it's inevitable, I'll read some every year and they are usually all pretty good but man....two back to back was almost too depressing for me. (So that must be why I've moved on to the Civil War era and Gone with the Wind...happier times no?) I don't think I could watch this movie though, so sad. It's told from the viewpoint of the Grim Reaper. While unique in style, I didn't particularly find it beneficial or that intriguing. It kind of drug on in parts. It's listed as Young Adult but I honestly thought it would be too deep and depressing for teens. But maybe it would make the war come more to life to them....(I'd personally recommend Between Shades of Gray beore this one as far as WWII fiction goes) I give it a 6.5.

Becoming a Woman of Prayer is the book we are using in our Wednesday women's Bible study this quarter. I think I have done two other studies by this same author. The chapters are very short and she uses lots of quotes from famous theologians that are always thought provoking but in order to get much out of the book you really have to study the verses and self reflect....like most Bible studies, but I really enjoyed this one and give it an 8.


Chapter Books we've been reading with Liv
Pippi Longstocking was my book as a child and I brought it back to read to Liv. I love it when a children's book makes Ryan and I laugh out loud....more than Liv at times! That red haired girl just has no rules or filter and she lives by her own code of conduct which was very silly but intriguing to Liv. We watched the movie when we finished the book and she loves singing all the songs with me now. The movie is not near as good quality as the book! Liv was very troubled that the horse didn't have a name in the book but the monkey did. Lucky for her, Alfonso was its name in the movie!

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is another childhood favorite I brought back to share with my daughter. I really had no idea it was written in 1947! Newer stories have also been written but they were 40 years later! I always remember finding chores much more fun after I read these tales and I was hoping Liv would too. The short stories are unique because I think it's a fun change for kids to see adults fretting over their children's behaviors....and of course the fun and creative ways Mrs Piggle Wiggle finds to solve them. Some I think would work in real life....others might be considered abuse but hey it's fiction!

Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party. Lulu got Liv this book at her school's book fair and although I cringed a little at first when I saw it, I was pleasantly surprised. I really did like this book, but I'm not sure it held Liv's attention very long but I laughed while reading it. Pinkie Pie is a party thrower and her peppy positive enthusiasm will make anypony smile....and I love how they say anypony instead of anybody, etc. We already have plans to swap with Elle's Rainbow Dash chapter book to read more in this series.

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here

2 comments:

kmom said...

Dad and I watched the movie, THE BOOK THIEF. It was very good and very well done. You might like it better than the book, but since you read the book, you will know what happens, and that will probably ruin it.

Anonymous said...

Jenna bought that same Pinkie Pie book and she loved it at age 6. Just give Liv a couple more years and she'll love it too. :) Someone I know wrote a book which became a New York Times best seller and apparently it's being made into a movie. It's called Tiger's Curse, and it's amazing! I want to know what you would rate it if you read it. Jessica Van Winkle

Related Posts with Thumbnails