Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Documentary Reviews

I've seen some good documentaries on Netflix lately that I thought I'd like to share with you.

Maidentrip. This film followed the youngest girl to ever sail the globe solo. She was 14 when she started. 14. Let me repeat that....14. What were you doing at 14? I was a hormonal boy crazy teenager who spent every waking hour on the phone gossipping with friends when I wasn't at school passing notes to my friends. I was in no way capable or mature enough to not raise sponsors, build living quarters in a boat, and prepare to be in dangerous waters all by my lonesome until I turned 16!  But this girl was and although you originally think her parents must be mad....because they were under heavy governmental scrutiny for months....you soon realize she's not exactly a typical 14 year old. It took her 2 years to sail the world (she did make stops on land to see people) but I was in awe of the maturity and bravery of this young woman.

Summit is the heartbreaking story and investigation about what happened on the most deadly day in mountain climbing history. 11 people died on one excursion up the infamous K2. You hear from the different groups of people who were from different countries but all trying for the same goal and from the sherpas who helped them. Mountain climbing is such a foreign thing to me but I am fascinated by people who do it. They train for so long then go live for months at a time to adjust to climate and oxygen levels and such and then many get sooooo close but because of health or weather or landslides or time restraints don't even reach the top. I loved the John Krakauer book Into Thin Air and this movie reminded me of it.

Commune. I had actually seen this awhile ago but I'd forgotten. If you ever want to know what commune living was like as a hippie back in the 70s then this is the film for you. There is some language and nudity but it's to be expected right? The interviews of the people today verses how they lived back then were my favorite part. How it shaped the way they raised their families, how they view politics or nature, how their careers developed, why they left, why they still go back to visit....you know the stuff documentaries are usually about! Even though many in the original hippie group no longer live there, their children do, and they still get together for reunions and such. There's a pretty famous actor on the documentary that lived there. I thought the documentary was organized a little weirdly but I still found it interesting.

Stories We Tell. This documentary follows the filmmaker's quest to find out more about her mother who died when she was a young girl. The mother was an actress whose personality was often larger than life. The director interviewed many of her mom's friends, coworkers, and even her own father and siblings as you got an interesting look into a person who presented herself differently to many others. But then it begs the question....can people really be seen in a true light for who they are or do they only exist in the memories and stories that we tell of them....especially when people's memories are very different sometimes. There's a surprising twist to this film and I found the whole film to be very thought provoking.

 Have you seen any good documentaries lately?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch many but I'd probably like to. I wouldn't know which ones to choose. Do you just randomly grab one off the library shelf or do people recommend them? MomakaGma

Ryan and Katie said...

I just browse new releases on Netflix

Related Posts with Thumbnails