Wednesday, August 20, 2014

First Day of School

Today was Olivia's first day of Pre-Kindergarten at John Rex Elementary. She got dressed and made her bed and agreed to take some first day pictures before seeing what gifts awaited her at the breakfast table. 
She perused the goodies while I made her some oatmeal to go along with a few of the powdered donuts. 
We read from our new devotional book over breakfast and I kept thinking of all the wise advice I needed to bestow upon her. She kept asking "Is it tomorrow?" I think because we kept telling her yesterday that school was was a confusing concept. I snapped a few more pics and we headed over to pick up Noah.
The dress seems long now but we'll see by the end of the year how much she grows!
That's more like it!
I wore the thumbprint necklace she made me today so I could rub her thumbprint whenever I missed her.....which was  lot.
Once we learned that we would not be allowed to walk our children to their classes Jenna and I decided if we couldn't walk with them, they could at least walk together! Liv and Noah are in the same class this year which I think helped calm Liv's nerves....and mine as well. Now let's just hope they manage to actually make other friends in the class throughout the year!
With their sweet teacher Ms. Bradshaw
Their teacher was there to great them at the drop off spot and surprisingly there was no line of cars. I hugged her quickly while a few tears welled up behind my sunglasses. She did great though and I was so proud of her! Looking back it probably was helpful to us both that the good-bye had to be quick so I couldn't linger! Jenna and I calmed our nerves in the company of other moms over a "Boo hoo brunch" at First Watch. It was delicious and theraputic.
But then I had the rest of the day ahead of me......

The school day is from 8:00-4:00 and let me tell you.....this was the longest afternoon of my life. I was so ready to pick her up and hear about her day by like noon! Then I got to practice my patience even more in the "pick-up line" which was about a 45 min wait. I'm hoping things will go faster in a few days....I hear they usually do. The smile on her face as she ran to my car was worth the wait though. I missed her so much today. She offered bits and pieces of info about her day throughout the evening....the cheer they learned, the puzzles she did, but she was quick to say "I'm the ONLY one in the WHOLE class that didn't nap. I TRIED to but the other kids were kicking and snoring." I don't doubt that she didn't nap but I'm anxious to hear the teacher's side of the story!!

A wonderful article was recently written about the school and I know many in the community are excited about this school....none more so than the children and parents of the children attending I'm sure!

Anyway we can tuck that milestone under our belt! She is excited to go back tomorrow and I will be excited for the hours to pass so I can pick her up again!


ktsdad said...

Glad all the preparation paid off! Never doubted Ryan's ability to live through this, but glad his girls did :-)

GmaakaMom said...

Wish I would have thought of a boo hoo brunch after I dropped off my kids on their first day of school many years ago (especially the college years). I was a mess.

kmom said...

Wow! Gifts for the first day of school? Great idea! Glad you and Olivia did so well. Hope it continues to go great.

Shawn and Becky said...

I don't understand why parents can't walk their kids to class. It's so confusing to me. They didn't even tell us this. I mean lessen the Choas I get my and maybe it helps the kids but it's their first day of school!! I love the school sounds awesome what an experience. And I love OK's pre k. Can't believe it's so long!

Related Posts with Thumbnails