Saturday, November 15, 2014

Book Review

The Invention of Wings. I loved this book so much even though it was a bit heart breaking. Slavery, women's rights, 1800s = not a happy time. And I've been trying to tell people to read it, but everyone I've told to read it says, "Oh I loved it too, I just finished it!" I just pulled it off the shelf when I saw the author's name because I loved her other books, but I guess it's a well known book and on Oprah's book list....I didn't even know Oprah still had a book club! I listened to it while driving and never read the synopsis so I had no idea until the end when the author gave her epilogue that it was based on a true story! It made me love it more to know those people were real...well mostly. I kind of hope they make it into a movie although the treatment of slaves was very hard to read/listen to, so it would be even harder to watch on screen. Sarah was a woman before her time and I love the fact that she stayed true to herself and her beliefs during a time when no women were doing that. Girl Power! Ok enough of the Spice Girl chatter. I give it a 9.5.

The Supreme Macaroni Company. I think I've said it before but Adriana Trigiani's writing often makes me think of My Big Fat Greek wedding. Mainly because her families are of a strong cultural background (Italian though, not Greek) and so their functions together are full of colorful characters and idiosyncrasies. Sadly though this book was a pretty big let down....but it's also partially my fault. I grabbed the CD off the library shelf when I saw her name and did not read anything about it so I was 75% done with it and very disappointed when I found out it's the third book in the series! Oops! No wonder I don't care anything about the characters! Maybe I would have if I'd read the first two but I'll never know because now I know how it ends...and it's depressing. I give it a 4 but I blame myself for the bad rating.

Dad is Fat. I actually READ this book! Not listened to one for once! It's a fast humorous read by the popular comedian (hoooot poocket anyone?) about his views on raising 5 kids in a tiny apartment in NY. A lot of it is in his latest stand up routine, but it was still a great read. In a world where there aren't too many "clean comedians" he is definitely a great one (he even has a funny chapter on this) with some pretty great family values too. I forget who recommended it to me but Thanks! I give it an 8.5.

We Are All Completely Besides Ourselves. Another book on CD....what can I say? I'm in my car for about 90% of my job! I actually don't think you should read the synopsis of this before you read it because it kind of ruins it. And I don't want to give it away in case you do read it, but the gist is a girl is looking back on her unique upbringing being raised by scientists who were living out their research by experimenting with their own family. I did enjoy it although a lot of the science, sociology, and psychology references lost me at times. It's not a true story but there have been other families in the past who have done similar research. It's also an interesting look at our memories: how they are formed and how they can vary tremendously from other members of our own families.I give it a 7.

Me Before You. This was our book club pick for the month and I actually read this one too, as opposed to listened to it! I had enjoyed another book by this author so I was pretty excited for this one. Because it deals with the topic of assisted suicide or the right to die with dignity or whatever phrase you choose to use, it was a very socially appropriate time to read it as I finished it the week that young woman in Oregon chose to end her life because of her brain cancer. The story was all over the news and although I don't watch the news, I read lots about it on the internet. Anyway....I'm not gonna share my opinions on the heated issue, I'm merely saying it was an appropriate book for the time and brought up lots of great discussion at book club. Overall I didn't necessarily enjoy the book or the characters...BUT it was a fast read because I was desperate to know how it ended. I give it a 6.5.
I skimmed through a few baby name books, they were entertaining but did not help in the naming of our daughter. In the end we went with what I liked from the beginning :) But since I didn't read them cover to cover I won't include them here.

Sorry I have no Liv books to review, she was not enjoying the last My Little Pony, and we never finished it, so we took a break from chapter books for awhile. We are still reading of course! Just not chapter books. She is loving her books on CD lately that she got for her bday from a friends.

Rules for rating seen here. What are you reading? I need some good recommendations!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails