Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Newsletter: 2 Months


Dear Haven,
It's nice to know that all those hours of nursing are paying off. You are a healthy growing girl at 11 lbs. 10 oz. and 24 inches long! (98% height and 56% for weight) I knew you were growing because your newborn clothes have all been packed away but it's always fun to hear how much!
You are starting to be awake a little more often but you still enjoy your snoozing. You sleep from about 10pm-4am every night and then go right back to sleep after a little early breakfast. You slept best on your tummy or upright in your car seat or swing. I know, I know, it's not recommended but you seem to startle pretty easily if you are flat on your back.
You were having a lot of reflux, choking, gagging, and spitting up issues. We got real proficient in holding you over the wood floors at night as opposed to the carpet awaiting the splat sound in the dark. But in the past week it seems to be getting much better. That's one reason you sleep upright in the swing for your long stretch at night. But you are gaining weight well and aren't fussy the majority of the day so the Dr. said we can wait and see before we try reflux meds. She said you have something called laryngomalacia which is something you will grow out of but may be causing your tummy issues and also is the reason for some of the weird baby noises you make!
Although I don't wish these newborn days away I do wish you would enjoy life a little more between the hours of 5-9pm. Just as your big sister and daddy are getting home and we finally get to be a family all together in the evenings....you start your witching hours. We take turns trying to make you happy, but you sure can exercise your lungs during those hours! Sometimes the porch swing, going on a stroller ride or car ride, or swaddling and bouncing can help but usually I just nurse you as much as possible during those hours. That makes dinner time, gym time, church time, or any other evening activity a little difficult at the moment but I know it won't last forever and if the cluster feeding at night helps you sleep such a long stretch...I can deal with it!
You have very strong legs and love to climb up me whenever I try to hold you close. You also hold your head back in the wrap and refuse to lay it down on my shoulder unless you are ready to sleep. I think you'll be ready for tummy time soon!
Your eyes are still a beautiful deep blue. You are starting to get thigh rolls, baby chub, and delicious fat cheeks. Your chin dimple is adorable and your samurai hairline is still going strong. When your hair is wet it's extra curly and if it's humid you will get some strays that start to stick up but so far it's still laying flat. Despite not liking to lay flat to sleep that is how you prefer to spend your awake hours as opposed to a bouncer or swing. Your diaper station is your favorite happy place although it's not safe to leave you there unattended. You coo and kick your legs and smile whenever you're there. 
You got to meet some of your cousins like Mary Belle and Afton this month and it made me look forward to all those holiday family memories we will make as you get older. I'm so glad you will have cousins your age to play with! However your big sister makes a pretty awesome playmate for now. She's still your number one buddy and asks every morning if she can play with you before school. She sings songs with you and reads you books, but she's still so anxious for you to be able to sit up or walk!
This month has reminded me how much I've forgotten about tiny babies. How fun the first smiles are, how long those growth spurt nights can be, how fun it is to see others faces light up when they hold a tiny baby, how much you can fruitlessly analyze why a baby is crying, and how joyful my heart is from just holding you close and staring at your face. Thank you for reminding me of all these things! I love you!

Love,
Mama







3 comments:

kmom said...

Looking forward to Haven smiling at me. Love, Grammy

Shawn and Becky said...

Love that smiling mommy/sleepy baby pictures. So sweet!

GmaakaMom said...

Haven, you are such an adorable baby. I sure wish I could be there to see tha that beautiful smile in person. Grandma loves you very much. Happy 2 months!

Related Posts with Thumbnails