Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Book Review

Whoops! This is kind of comical because I finished these a long time ago...before I had two kids. Since I birthed that child, this is what I've accomplished as far as adult books go...reading half way through 3 different books! I'll just give a partial review of those since I'll likely never finish. Anyway here's what I remember about those books!

The Alchemist. We read this for book club awhile back and as much as I tried to get some deep meaning out of it...I couldn't. I really felt like the author was trying a bit too hard or maybe there was something lost in translation, but I just wasn't that into it. There were some great quotes but as life-changing as all the reviews made it sound, I was underwhelmed. I give it a 5.




Yes Please was a great read and I recommend it if you like Amy Poehler or enjoyed the biographies by Tina Fey or Mindy Kaling. It's just a fun and fast read about her life. My favorite part was probably the story about her beloved Ob/Gyn dying the day BEFORE HER DUE DATE. Craziness. I give it an 8.5.




Save Me. And I thought PTA meetings were enough drama. This book is PTA drama on STEROIDS. An explosion in the cafeteria, bullying, mystery, sabotage, adults acting like tweens, I kept turning pages but the whole thing was a bit silly and could never happen in real life...I hope. I give it a 6.



Chapter Books we read with Liv:

The Mouse and the Motorcycle was a great read for her age level. Beverly Cleary is just a great author. And a great kids author is one that adults can enjoy too! It's a cute story and then we watched the made for TV movie together. I think it's like 45 min long and on YouTube. It's been awhile so I don't remember much else to say about it, but she actually paid attention most nights which is how I know it's a hit!



Pygmalion. Oh Liv, bless her heart. The only reason we read this one is because I wanted to watch My Fair Lady together because it's my fav movie...and if there's ever a movie that's also a book, I feel we must read the book first. Except both book and movie are WAY over her head. We made it through though and I even read Eliza's part with a Cockney accent! She enjoyed the movie but I don't think understood either, but she can sing "I'm gettin' married in the morning" now!

Books I may or may not ever finish:

Reclaiming Your Heart. I really enjoy this book and have read through most of it with a ladies Bible study I went to at Northwest. The author does an excellent job about describing the different ways some of us have hardened our hearts and how we can reclaim them through Jesus (the critical heart, angry heart, shamed heart, fearful heart, etc) It's been eye opening to see how I've probably had many of these at some point in my life. I hope I finish this one. I only have a few chapters left!

The Nightingale was the book club pic for this last month and I listened to about half of it but could never get into it. When I went to the dinner I heard the rest of the story from book club members and it sounds really good and fascinating...but I was halfway through the book and hadn't gotten to anything that good or exciting so I dunno if it was because I was listening to it or what. I probably won't finish it though since I know the end. But if you like the author or WWII books then you'll probably enjoy it!

Grace Based Parenting is an amazing read so far. I keep meaning to pick it back up but I'll go weeks in between chapters. At the rate I'm going Haven will be old enough for me to start applying some of the lessons to her by the time I'm done! I will try to finish it though because I know Danielle might want it back since I'm borrowing it.

Rules of Rating seen here
(I have a long list of things I WANT to read but who knows if I will be picking up that habit anytime soon)
What are you reading?

1 comment:

GmaakaMom said...

I haven't read any of them. Thanks for the reviews and recommendations. I think I'll try the Nighengale.

Related Posts with Thumbnails