Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Book Review

Serena was my book pick for book club last month and I think we all enjoyed it. The novel focuses on a wealthy couple during the timber empire era in the midst of the Great Depression and although I doubt it's historical fiction, it does deal with the forming of national parks and some of the greed and issues with the land that went on during that time period. I thought Serena was a fascinating character and my only complaint was that I wanted to hear more secrets revealed about where she came from that led her to be such the villain that she was. I've never read a Western that I recall, but I imagine this had the feel of those books and I loved it. I give it an 8.5 and highly recommend it. However, the movie was HORRIBLE. I repeat...DO NOT see the movie. All star cast, great plot, but it tanked.

Luckiest Girl Alive was another great read that is compared to Gone Girl and I can see why. Mainly because the lead female has a bit of a deceptive lifestyle that you get to peek into with the first person narrative. It keeps you guessing throughout and for that reason is a fast read! I was almost afraid for how it would end but I enjoyed the ending. I believe this is the author's first book and I look forward to more of her writing, it had a unique style for sure! There are some tragic events in the book though so read more thorough reviews before checking it out for yourself! I give it an 8 as well.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Well I will definitely be giving a more in depth look in another post as to how this book has affected our lives as I have been "kon-maring" ever since. I won't divulge too much into that aspect yet but if you think you are a neat freak or organized...you are wrong. She claims storage experts are merely hoarders. This book takes tidying to a new level and I really did love it. Some parts make you laugh out loud...and some parts are probably hilarious only because it's been translated. She's clearly been obsessed with tidying since she was a child and really does have a philosophy of the tidying process. As ridiculous as some of it is...I like her take on things. I give it a 9 and recommend it to anyone!

Grace Based Parenting. I finally finished it but don't let the fact that it took me awhile to read it clout your opinion! I just kept getting interrupted by other books! It's been awhile since I've read a parenting book and this was a beautiful one. If we meet our children's greatest needs of security, significance, and strength with love, purpose, and hope then Lord willing we can raise children to further the kingdom. It focuses on living out our Christianity in the world as opposed to separating ourselves apart from everyone and everything. How we can raise strong Christian children in schools, communities, and neighborhoods without being fear based parents. How to tackle tough situations and conversations with our children using the same love, grace, and forgiveness that our father gives to us. It's one of those books I need to read weekly and I hope I can convince my husband to read it too so we can discuss! I give it a 9 and recommend it to parents!

Books we've been reading with Liv
We haven't done chapter books in awhile because she has been wanting to practice her own reading skills in the evening time. I will mention we got a great kick out of The Eleventh Hour and I highly recommend it for elementary kids. If she'd been a bit older I think she'd loved to have tackled all the clues and tried to solve the mystery of Horace and his missing birthday feast on her own, but it was fun to do together. She made lists of the animals, their names, their whereabouts based on the times shown on the clock and we did solve the mystery! We've checked out other Graeme Base books since and I love the artwork in them. She loves the search and find in all of them!

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here.

2 comments:

Tarren and Erin said...

I read and solved the Eleventh Hour in 5th grade. So fun!

GmaakaMom said...

I see a couple of books I'll need to read. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails