Thursday, November 12, 2015

Book Review

You might have noticed my social media pics of books I'm reading with strange descriptions and hashtags. Benay challenged me awhile back with this 26 book challenge, but sadly since I started over halfway through the year I'm not sure I can finish it. I'm WAY lower on my average book reading for the year and I 100% completely blame Haven. What? I can do that. She's only 8.5 months old, she doesn't care. I'm still giving it my best though, so I've had renewed reading energy! Here are my latest reads....

All the Light We Cannot See was a book club pick and although I loved the writing and characters but there was something left to be desired for me. The story seemed a bit like historical fiction but then there were quite a few elements that just seemed highly improbable and that tends to bother me if I feel a story could be mostly true but thanks to some weird facts there's just no way. Also the ending wasn't great considering how many pages it took to get there. But I don't want to dog it completely and I still give it an 8. I recommend it if you like WWII novels.

The Phantom Tollbooth is a children's classic that I have never read. Although it's decades old I somehow missed this little illustrated young adult book that is also great for adults. It's a whimsical tale of a boy who travels to a land full of characters who teach lots of practical life lessons. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I'm surprised Tim Burton hasn't made this into a film. I recommend it to all and give it an 8.5 I plan to read it to Liv when she's a little older and can understand homonyms.

For The Love is another Jen Hatmaker book and although her past hits were hits with me, I finally joined the bandwagon and loved this one. It's not a typical type of devotional book, I would consider it more like thematic blog posts. There are hilarious bits about fashion and family and then more serious looks about raising children in the church and global mission work. I recommend it to all Christian women and give it a 9.

Furiously Happy is the second hilarious book by Jenny Lawson. She can do no wrong in her writing in my eyes and I loved this book. She can take a humorous look at her own mental health issues which takes a special kind of talent. She resonates with her readers and has built quite the community around a tough subject that many don't like to talk about. She also has funny tales from her marriage and travels, it's not all about her crippling anxiety and depression. I give it a 9 and I recommend it if you like her blog or have a twisted sense of humor!

Paper Towns is a young adult novel and I had high hope for it since I loved The Fault in our Stars but this one didn't reach that high point for me. I enjoyed the overall plot, but the ending wasn't that great and high-schoolers really don't speak in that many metaphors. I did learn about copyright traps for mapmakers and how fake towns were put on maps long ago for this purpose. Kind of fascinating and now I'd like to visit a paper town like Agloe! I give it a 7.5 and recommend it if you like young adult fiction.

A Girl Named Zippy. Such a great memoir. I recommend it to everyone. I think this is my 4th time to read this book. It's just inspiring to read work from such a talented author. Yes she's my fav author and my daughter's namesake but honestly I've never had a friend read this that didn't love it too. It take a great talent to write as an adult but from a child's viewpoint. It's endearing, funny, innocent, poignant, reflective, and will make you want to read more of her work! It's a 10 everytime. Or maybe an 11 (I'm now following her on Instagram and reading some of her books that she's reading. Is that stalking? Maybe.....

Rules of rating seen here
What are you reading lately?

3 comments:

TLKOREGON said...

I too LOVE the A Girl Named Zippy! SOOO good! I think both of my girls have read The Phantom Toll Booth , and they both really liked it! Violet just finished reading Witch of Blackbird Pond. =) She liked it a lot! Score! I wanted to read Paper Towns.

GmaakaMom said...

Isn't Paper Towns a movie now?

kmom said...

I don't think I knew where Haven's name came from.

Related Posts with Thumbnails