Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Book Review

I just tallied up my count for 2015 book and I only read 30 (out of 34 attempts). I guess that's an alright number, but I found it easier to watch TV than read with a baby this year. Nursing for hours lends itself more to sitting and watching over holding a book. Maybe I should do a review on how many TV series, documentaries, and movies I watched but I haven't kept a list of those! I usually do a "best of books" list each year (2014, 2013, 2012) but this year you'll just have to go back and see which ones I rated high. Here are my last reads of 2015!

The Solace of Leaving Early. I've lost count of how many times I've read this book. I'm re-reading her "trilogy of place" books and I think this one is my favorite. I love this book so much I don't want people to know about it because if they read it and don't love it as much as me....I will inevitably like them less. So it's dangerous for relationships. Just don't tell me if you read it. I'd rather have a private relationship with this book. It's an 11.

Wonder is one of those books that I need to write down (maybe here will count?) to read with my girls when they are about 10 or 11, right before middle school drama starts. The author did a wonderful job showing the different viewpoints of friends and family surrounding a young boy and his deformity as he in introduced to public school for the first time. It's a young adult book but I think older adults will enjoy it too so I recommend it to all and give it a 9.

The Life We Bury was our book club read and it's been too many weeks since I read it to say much about it. I do remember it was a fast read because it kept you turning pages to find out if they'd solve the mystery and I really liked it. I give it an 8 and recommend it if you like suspenseful reads.



Vinegar Hill was a fast read too but definitely not a feel good book. It describes a family's situation in the 70's following a series of unfortunate events. It's beautifully written and like Wonder told from different viewpoints of the family members...I think. I also read this awhile ago so my mind could be deceiving me. It was an Oprah book club pick and you usually can't go wrong with them. I recommend it if you don't have to have a happy ending and I give it an 8.5.

Lookaway, Lookaway was brilliant and although it took a little while to get into, I'm glad I kept going. It's a satirical look at a Southern family with all the Southern drama that high society and scandal can bring money, inheritance, mansions, greek life, race, religion, politics....no topic is safe in this family. I cringed at the family Christmas meal much like August Osage County but with more humor. I recommend it to those who like to laugh at Southern heritage.  I give it a 9.

Books we read with Olivia
The Nutcracker. This is a long book and unlike the ballet...the scary Drosselmeir mouse part and Princess Pirlipat part take up like 2/3 of the book and are very frightening. The lovely candyland part is like 3 pages or something. I don't really recommend reading it to children...maybe an abbreviated version.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Mona sent Liv this book and I was so excited to read it because I was in the play in High School and can still quote many lines from it. I'd never read the book though and it was delightful. Maybe a little over Liv's head but I think we will read it again and she will appreciate it when she's a bit older. I laughed out loud in several parts. It's a great story that kids and adults can enjoy.

Where the Sidewalk Ends. I loved Shel Silverstein's witty poems as a child and I'm happy to say I love them just as much as an adult. I kept thinking of fun activities that could go along with each poem and if I were a teacher I think I'd make a whole curriculum unit over Shel and his poems. Liv loved these so I think we will have to check out A Light in the Attic too.

I enjoyed reading with the 26 book challenge from this blog. I didn't get started until over halfway through the year and although I thought I'd continue it, I don't think I will since we are starting a similar one for the OKC mom's blog. It did encourage me to read more and learn about some good books and authors. Stay tuned for the link when it's posted and you can join in the challenge with me!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails