Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Book Review

I'm three books in to the reading challenge of 2016. It's never too late to join in!
In other book news...Amazon is closing up Shelfari and merging it with Goodreads. So I will have to either move my account that keeps track of all my books to that website or another competing one. It's a hassle and now none of my links will work from past book reviews. I'll probably just forget to change over and all of it will be lost. Silly internet.

Nine Stories. I revisited this Salinger favorite of mine. Each time I've read it I go back on the blog to see which of the short stories were my favorite and it's the same ones every time: Bananafish, For Esme.., Teddy, and DeDaumier Smith's Blue Period. I keep thinking some of the other ones will appeal to me but they haven't over the past 10 years so maybe they never will! Oh well it's still a good read for the ones I do enjoy! I usually end my year reading Catcher in the Rye but I chose this Salinger one instead. Do you like to reread books?

The Empress of One was recommended to me by Jeri and I loved it. My only complaint was the ending seemed a bit lacking and I really wanted to know more about the other characters in the town. After reading discussions online AND talking to Jeri there are more in this series of sorts. I'm excited to read them and find out what happened to Lark, and did Sally follow in her mother's footsteps, and what's the deal with Katherine and her father? I give it a 9 and recommend it if you like good character stories set right after WWII.

The Clue of the Leaning Chimney. I had this vintage Nancy Drew copy on my shelf from Ryan's Grandmother's house so I thought I'd read it one day. I'd never read a Nancry Drew book. Formulaic I'm sure but held my interest enough that when I came to page 160 and found out it was missing the last chapters, I had to go to the library and get it so I could find out if they found the Engs and the vases! Hypers! They did! I don't understand some of the language from the day or why it was ok to casually jab at Bess's weight problem.  I give it like a 5. I have a few more. I might read them for fillers some time, but they look pretty on my bookshelf. Konmari might slap me.

Things We Tried to Read with Liv but failed....
Grimm's Fairy Tales. I have a beautiful vintage copy from 1920 that my grandmother's aunt gave to her and it's so cool and special to me and I thought we could read some to Liv. WRONG! I even tried to screen some of them before reading alloud and they'd be going well and then on the last page a king would behead his children. Just no. Too Gruesome. Who read that stuff to their kids?! We had enough nightmares from Star Wars so we have since moved on to The Secret Garden. It's going much better.

Liv is really into reading herself these days. She still mainly makes up the stories from the pictures in her books, but I love it. She locks herself and Haven in her room and I can hear her reading through the door and playing school. She's VERY good at using inflection in her reading which I think is a unique skill for a 6 year old.

What are you reading? Rules of ratings seen here.

3 comments:

kmom said...

Now we know why they are grim fairy tales. I would have assumed they were Hansel and Gretel, etc.

GmaakaMom said...

Bummer about Shelfari. I keep a list of my books in a file on my computer. I can email it to myself when I go to the library if I need to. I only started doing this about 6 or 7 years ago though so I still find myself checking out books and then realizing I've already read them. Its pretty frustrating to get 5 or 6 miles down the road and finish a book only to realize I've already heard the "new" book I've brought along and now have nothing to listen to on the rest of my walk. (Boo Hoo) My ipad has made it easier though. Now I can just find someplace with wifi and download a new one instead of having to walk all the way back to the library and getting a new one before I continue my walk. I know, life's rough. Only another readerholic (is that a word?) would understand. I'm listening to a Michael Connelly book and reading a Victoria Thompson mystery right now.

kmom said...

It is good you keep a list of the books you have read. I usually don't like to read a book I have read before. The Bible is an exception. Sometimes I have by mistake and after maybe a quarter of the way through, I'm thinking, "This seems familiar. Have I read this book before?" Usually it is so vague and I am enjoying it and I don't remember the end, so I still finish reading it. It would be very helpful to make a list of the books I have read, especially those in a series or by a particular author. I am now reading two books at the same time by James Herriot about his adventures as a veterinarian in east England. One is All things Wise and Wonderful and the one is The Best of James Herriot, The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved Writers of Our Time, which includes stories from
the first one and another book of his I have read. I like his books because it is easy to read just a chapter or two and then put it down or go to bed. They are interesting chapters about interesting people and cases he has had. I can leave it for several days and still remember the characters since the chapters are stand alone stories. It is a bit much of blood and gore at times, but the chapters are quite short, so I can easily stop reading for awhile. (I need to learn how to underline my type.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails