Monday, November 07, 2016

Book Review Part 2

Don't scroll past it's part 2 of the book review!!

Chasing Lincoln's Killer. This was a random pick that I got for participating in the summer reading program at the library. Let's just say the cart wasn't full of books I was interested in, but I did enjoy this! It's written more for Young Adults and is the true story of the assassination of President Lincoln. It uses a lot of letter and writings of John Wilkes Booth and his gang. I learned a lot about history that I didn't know...like that there were several men involved in the conspiracy including a woman who all faced death after their prosecution, and that there were other politicians targeted that night though none lost their lives even though some faced serious injuries. I give it a 7 and recommend it if you like history books!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It was a bit hard to get into this at first since I hadn't read the series in over like 8 years and I couldn't remember some of the things it referenced. Also it's a play so the style was different. But I caught on quick. It's a fast read. Not nearly as good as the series and a bit predictable in my opinion but it was ok. I'd probably give it a 7 too.


Love Warrior was recommended to me by a friend and I was hesitant at first to read it because I'd read her blog before and she's a little off putting at times to me. I loved the book though and couldn't put it down. Her memoir is very raw and honest as she talks about her most vulnerable struggles in her life from eating disorders to alcoholism to her marriage troubles. I think that's what sucks you in is how vulnerable and honest she is. She bears all and in that you can find something a little relatable because she'll say something that you thought you were the only one in the world who ever felt but were ashamed to say it out loud! I recommend it if you like memoirs and give it a 9.

Between the World and Me. It's hard to know what to say about this book. Many people I know read and recommended this book in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement. Although I've always enjoyed a variety of types of books, I'm trying to be more conscious about reading authors from other races as well. This book was written to his son and it is a letter basically letting him know what to expect as a black man in America. It's hard to read, because it's definitely not very hopeful at all. It will make you uncomfortable most likely, but I do think it's a good idea to be uncomfortable, to reflect, and to discuss with someone afterward. I give it a 9.

Bittersweet is the first Shauna Niequiest book I've read and I loved it so much I got all of her other books from a friend who is a fan. So I'll be slowly reading them all. I wrote a review for the Christian Chronicle on this book so you can follow this link if you want to read about it. I'd give it a 9. I think I'll have an upcoming review of Raising A Child Who Prays, so stay tuned for that review as well!


Present Over Perfect is the newest Niequist book and although I've seen everyone and their dog reading it, I liked Bittersweet better. She jumps around a bit in this one and I couldn't relate to it as much. The message is still good though and I'd give it a 8. I look forward to discussing it with our book club this month.



Gone Til November. I heard about this book on the radio after I'd just seen a documentary on Rikers Island. It's basically Lil Wayne's prison journal from his 8 month stint there. For those who may not be aware, Lil Wayne is a world famous rapper, who made more money than everyone in that jail combined I'm sure while sitting in his cell. Kind of fascinating to me. Did he get a real Rikers experience, prob not. I mean he had Drake and Puff Daddy and Kanye West visits. I can't imagine the chaos. It's a pretty boring and repetitive read...much like prison life I'm sure....with moments of interesting stories and insights, some amusing, some disturbing. I give it a 6.

What are you reading?
Rules of Rating Seen here
Find me on Goodreads!...I still don't get how the site really works but people add me as their friend sometimes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails