Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Election

Yes I sang Mrs. Banks suffrage song all the way to the polls
Yeah what to type, what to type......
  • I understand why people vote Democrat and I understand why people vote Republican. I don't understand how either side makes excuses for crimes or hateful speech by the candidates who represent the parties.
  • I understand how we can agree to disagree without being slanderous. I don't understand why politicians must use to the unity card after the election results and not before. 
  • I understand why some people are fearful and hurt by the results. I don't understand gloating or boasting. 
  • I'm thankful we live in a country where there are checks and balances 
  • I'm grateful there is a peaceful transfer of power
  • I'm thankful for free speech
  • I'm thankful I have a diverse group of friends to learn and grow from. 
  • I'm saddened by the people who choose to mock and belittle those who view differently. 
I understand you may live in a bubble. You may not know any Muslim people, Hispanic people, Christian people, Gay people, Bible belt people, Rural people, City folk, or African American people. If you don't I encourage you to befriend someone who is different than you. To travel somewhere different than where you live. To read something by someone whose viewpoint is different than yours and keep an open mind while reading it instead of using it as a prooftext to back up everything you already believe.

I did let Olivia see some of the speeches and debates. I was ashamed at how certain parts of the debates played out in front of all the children watching (and adults too). I was grateful for opportunities and teachable moments to explain to her, who our family puts as the leader of our lives no matter who is elected, and how His son's example is who we look to for how to live our lives: with grace, kindness, love, and forgiveness.

I posted on a friends facebook comment the other day that this election was hard to talk about with kids because they see things in black and white, right or wrong. This whole election was gray. Maybe it could be said of all elections, but more so this one than any other I can recall in my life. I did vote. I did have misgivings about all the candidates on my ballot and I feel I chose the best one who could lead our country. I had friends who chose not to vote at all and I completely respect and understand that viewpoint too! I had people I love very dearly mark Hillary's name, I had people I love very dearly mark Donald's name. I still love all of them.
Liv ready to pull her hair out as the vote totals rolled in. 
Haven says "I don't know who's winning"
I tried not to hide certain people from my facebook feed whose views I disagreed with unless I found them to be hateful or too plentiful (some people are posting on fb 24/7!). I want to be able to see things from both sides. But I can also get sucked in and if I see it affecting my attitude towards someone then I do feel it's best to "hide them" and/or get off facebook!

I will pray for President Trump and hope he will be humbled and repent of some of his ways and statements. I will pray for the Clintons and Obamas too. Anytime I feel the anxiety creeping up (which I did over the past few weeks during this election time) I automatically start singing this song in my head, and I hope you will find it comforting too.
My favorite lines:
I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God
I am surrounded by the arms of the father
I am surrounded by songs of deliverance
We've been liberated
From our bondage
We're the sons and daughters
Let us sing our freedom
You split the sea so i could walk right through it
You drown my fears in perfect love
You rescued me so I can stand and say
I am a child of God

And I will do my best as a follower of His to extend my arms of service and compassion to all. I will teach my daughters to do the same. I will try to be humble, peacemaking, merciful, and pure in heart. (Matt 5) I will try to let my life show the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, and self control (Gal 5). And I hope other Christians will too...not just in these tender days after the election, but throughout life as well.

4 comments:

kmom said...

Very well written. I take comfort in Psalm 46:1-3 "God is our refuge and strength,a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride."

jana said...

*honk*
"Ryan, who just honked at you? Why are you waving? I can't see who it is!"
"It's Katie!"
"Who?"
"Katie!"
"My cousin Kadi?"
"NO. KATIE! OUR GOOD NEIGHBORS"
"OH! KATIE!"

*waves & walks away*
"I feel like an idiot"
"You should"

hahahaha

...sorry for being so weird. i think it was stress. :)

Ryan and Katie said...

Hahahaha! I wasn't sure either of you recognized me prob just thought I was some crazy voter!

GmaakaMom said...

❤️

Related Posts with Thumbnails