Sunday, January 22, 2017

PaleOooooh Here We Go Again...

Clearly the safest place for my toddler is up on a high counter next to a chopping knife and hot stove. Parent of the year right here.
Four years ago I embarked on a dietary adventure for 3 months or so. You can read about it here and basically know that I'm having the same experience again EXCEPT this time it has nothing to do with RA (I've been off all meds for that since the last time I did this diet) and everything to do with losing the holiday weight (or maybe it was extra pregnancy weight I never lost to begin with) and to cut my sugar cravings. Which were out. of. control. Too many holiday treats hanging around my kitchen led to brownies for breakfast and Dr. Pepper all day erryday. I'm kind of an all or nothin' gal so while moderation SOUNDS great in theory....if there's a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in my house I will most likely drink one for 12 days in a row. So it became time to cut it out completely....for at least a month. See if I can regain some of that self discipline I might have once had. 

I will say this go around has been difficult. I think I'm more hangry this time. I'm tired of eating the same things, I'm really tired of eggs, so instead of eating the same thing over and over I will skip a meal which leads to me just being in a crabby mood until I realize..."yeah I should probably suck it up and eat another stinking salad." I comfort eat like most people in the Western world so that has been another hard thing to kick. I'm not being at strict as I was 4 years ago, but I have successfully had no bread products, soda, or caffeine this month and only a teeny amount of dairy in yogurt form.

 We are almost at the end of January (thanks goodness!) and since I have no idea what I weighed or measured before, I can't tell you exact numerical benefits. I didn't want that to be the marker of my success. But I CAN tell you my clothes fit better and I feel better, and that was the goal. Thanks to the Whole 30 diet being all the rage (which seems to be basically the same thing as Paleo?) I had lots of friends with new recipes to pass on to me. So in addition to the old stuff we got to try some new stuff too. No I didn't photograph my food or type up recipes but if you want them maybe I can do a later post.

Who knows what February will bring. I'd like to think I can continue to eat some of the same recipes and remember to add more veggies to my plate and more water throughout the day. That's what seems to help most of all, staying hydrated. I know that diets aren't the best way to stay healthy...that moderation and consistent lifestyle eating habits are better for you but hopefully this will help kickstart better choices for me for the rest of the year!

3 comments:

kmom said...

Go, Katie, go! Good luck! I need to lose 3 lbs.

jana said...

i feel your pain! we're on our second week of the whole 30 right now. it's like paleo with even more restrictions. i got so overwhelmed over the weekend by all the prep work & cooking that i silently cried while peeling potatoes. hahaha! other than a few brief moments of tears or rage, it's been good though. it definitely showed me just how much my body was relying on sugar and dr pepper.

GmaakaMom said...

I was impressed with your willpower while we were there. After 60 years of dealing with this "weight" thing, I feel your pain. Good luck. And thanks for feeding us so well during our stay. Now I need to diet in February.

Related Posts with Thumbnails