Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Book Review

Thanks to our trips to Oregon and Michigan I was able to read quite a bit over the past two months. Here's a brief snippet from what I recall from these reads. I enjoyed all of them!

Everyone Brave is Forgiven. I'd read the author's previous book Little Bee and enjoyed it so when Loree recommended this to me I checked it out. It's a WWII fiction book that follows a few characters through their years of various types of service to the cause. The plot keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen and I really liked the characters evolution throughout. I remember I liked it a lot but it's been a few weeks so my memory is a bit fuzzy on it. I give it a 7.5 and recommend it if you like WWII fiction.

The Women in the Castle. It just so happened our book club choice for the month was also a WWII fiction book. I don't recommend reading two back to back as they get muddied in my mind a bit. But this one focused on women in the German resistance movement and how they came together and helped each other out after they were widowed. The story follows them for a long period of time and I really enjoyed it even though it was slow at times. I thought the author did a good job exploring the different viewpoints of the people during the rise of Hitler. How some immediately saw him as a threat and how some genuinely didn't realize it until it was too late. Although it's fiction it's clear to see the author did a lot of historic research in writing this. I give it an 8.5 and once again recommend it if you like WWII books.

A Man Called Ove. This is a book for anyone who has ever loved a grumpy old man. I feel like most families have one. Maybe it's a grandpa or uncle. Or maybe it's someone at your church or in your neighborhood. Before you just write these curmudgeons off you might just want to read this tale translated from the Swedish book (and an Oscar nominated foreign film). It's a bit of a sad tale at first but there is humor throughout and ultimately a great message of love, community, and compassion that I think most people would enjoy. I give it an 8.5.

The Art of Asking. I was mostly intrigued by the cover of this book and the fact that I have some friends who know the author. I went home and watched her TED talk and loved it and immediately went to check the book out. I would compare this to Brene Brown's writings, but where hers are more clinical based works on vulnerability, Amanda's is the real life application of it. From being a living statue to being the first musician to successfully run a large kickstarter campaign grossing over a million dollars, she has some very interesting artistic tales to share that we can all learn from no matter our walk of life. She explores the difference of asking and begging, vulnerability and shame, and the importance of a relationship between an artist and a patron, no matter the genre. I give it a 9 and recommend it to anyone who watches her TED talks and enjoys it! Check it out!

Killers of the Flower Moon. I wish I had read this before we visited Pawhuska because now I must go back and visit some of the places in this non fiction book about the Osage murders and the beginning of the FBI. It is a very sad portrait of time in our nation's history and one that should be in text books but is left out. This did not happen that long ago and it's a true story! The journalist revisits the investigation of the 20+ deaths of Osage who at the time were the richest people on the face of the earth and were being found murdered in various ways in Oklahoma. He uncovers some shocking things that were left out of the FBI reports and visits with the ancestors who are still there today. There's lot of pictures included which I also appreciated. They told us when we visited Pawhuska that the movie rights had been sold before the book was even published so we will see if the movie is as good as the book (movie gossip). I recommend it to everyone who lives in our country and give it a 10.

Modern Romance. The third non-fiction book in a row that I read. That might be a record! I enjoy Aziz Ansari as a comedian and his book didn't disappoint even though it's not exactly a comedic work. He partnered up with a few sociologists and scholars and conducted some research on how technology is affecting our relationships in today's societies. From texting to dating apps he covers lots of areas and explores a few different cultures across the globe. Even though I'm not in on the dating scene it was still a really interesting read and he does have plenty of comedic insight and personal stories to go with the research. I give it a 9 and recommend it if you know what Tinder is.

What are you reading?
Rules of rating seen here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails